1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Networks.. please help :)

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Obulus, Jan 8, 2010.

Hi there,
    For a recent piece of coursework, I've had to undertake the production of a report based around a topic of my choice, and I took up the challenge of investigating Social networks, and the recent boom of usage.

I'm looking to do a bit of research and if you could me it would be extremely appreciated.

I'd like to know; What you personally look for in a social network, considering the entire range of networks there are, from micro-blogging to full on profiles.

And in the future, what sort of innovations would you really like to see when connecting with your relatives, your colleagues and the world.

Kind regards,
    Obulus.

Obulus, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  2. arkueckelhan

arkueckelhan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook is everything I need. I get to keep up to date with what my friends are doing by seeing their pictures, status updates, etc. and these work as good conversation pieces to spark conversation using their chat system (which is about the best innovation they have had).

arkueckelhan, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  3. cafevip.net

cafevip.net Peon

Best Answers:
    i like facebook. hope you too.

cafevip.net, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  4. Obulus

Obulus Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I've seen alot of people intrigued by Facebook, but... there must be something you crave for? Something that maybe isn't quite right on the internet, i understand the ambiguity behind that but I'd love to see people's answers.

Obulus, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  5. biglegg

biglegg Peon

Best Answers:
    There is nothing quite right about the internet thats what makes it so special.

biglegg, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  6. arkueckelhan

Best Answers:
    As an advertiser I want to be able to take all the things use on facebook and all of their settings and be able to target customers based on these things rather than just their simple demographics.

I would like to be able to target people on facebook that just posted a specific status update.

This may not draw in any more users but it could sure earn more money for the company

7. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook is for masses and not for quality, harvesting user info and then some staff steals it and sells it, as it happened already. Recently a Facebook developer asked the coders of the scripts I use for a job. Not sure if he only wanted to get a peak and sniff around or if he was honest.
    Most of people use it because of others using it, not thinking what they're doing. They don't even know what they want. This why they try to enter more commercial features.
    The future will be more of this kind, smaller and with higher quality. People need to communicate, build bridges, serve each other, help each other and also have fun.

Arnie, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  8. arkueckelhan

Best Answers:
    You brought up a great point. I think the biggest asset to ANY social network is the users they already have. "Everyone else is using it"

That's why its very unlikely there will be anyone network that takes over Facebook, because the barrier to entry is so high and their is no point in joining a new social network if there is no one else on it

9. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But at one point in time there will be a turning point.

Arnie, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  10. arkueckelhan

Best Answers:
    Just like Facebook over came Myspace and how myspace overcame Friendster.

But it seems these networks are never by companies looking to make money. It is always some innovation that businessmen overlook that always create a surge of users to start the viral movement.

I wonder what is next

11. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they are operating with huge amounts of funds backed up by dubious motivations, or else they could never grow that large. Now I hear that funding was cut down and people get laid off.

next? CIVOC! of course, not so large but with quality.:D:D

there will be more participation and also sharing with a completely different concept. In 2 months you will know more. People can register now already and use even more features than any of the big ones provides for free now.
    There will be less members but more activities and people will feel as in a real family.

I'll need good people, so I can hide in the background then.

Arnie, Jan 8, 2010 IP