1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Networks - The domination of the internet

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Scorpiono, May 31, 2007.

They dominate the internet, one of the most advanced and spreaded websites are obviously Internet Dating sites, or Social Network sites, for a number of reasons I will talk in my article.

First of all, I’m Scorpiono, a young webmaster, a really sociable guy who created it’s own website based on the rules of the social dynamics, and created a social network where people can stay together even when they are in different locations across the globe.

There are definetly giants in this industry, and we talk here about MySpace, world’s most largest social network, the “root of evil” how many other webmaster said before. It’s harsh, but it’s the true reality, being the biggest network means alot of influence they have on their users, and thus more responsability comes.

Why do people like this kind of websites and what makes them number one, it’s a combination of viral marketing and human nature. There are so many communities online, about IT, literature, cars, fashion, celebrities, etc.. the online market is flooded with new websites from the niche. And yes, most of them are more succesful than any other kind of website, because this kind of websites are of a more general use than any other could be..

Beside MySpace, I’ll take a look at few other websites and review them from my personal point of view:

1. Digg.com

The community consists of people creating/sharing news, videos, articles. It’s a very useful website for people interested into knowing more about diverse kind of subjects.

Official description: Technology focused news site where the stories are chosen by community members rather than editors.

I’ve been using Digg for quite a while now, to promote my own articles and to share information which I found really useful, with any other member of the community.

2. Facebook and Hi5

Similar to MySpace, these kind of websites are more into dating and creating friend circles for European people. They have a huge success amoungst teenagers and they are very highly visited.

Read more on this article..

The purpose of this post is to share marketing results related to Social Networks / Dating sites therefor:
    - for all of you that have a Social Network and wish to tell us when you acomplished some great results and when it went wrong, do so.

Contact me on DP for anything related to Social Networks (link exchanges, information, advices, give advices)

Scorpiono, May 31, 2007 IP
  2. skillipedia

skillipedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Myspace is popular thanks to music marketing, but as a social network - it's rubbish

skillipedia, May 31, 2007 IP
  3. Scorpiono

Scorpiono Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, do you think so? I always had the feeling they are the giant when it comes to tons of profiles and alot of "options".

You might be right though, most of the banners with myspace that I've seen redirected me to their music section..

Scorpiono, May 31, 2007 IP
  4. TerryB

TerryB Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have any expereince with Squidoo you can share?

Thanks in anticipation

Terry

TerryB, May 31, 2007 IP
  5. aletheides

aletheides Banned

Best Answers:
    I have had good instant traffic using social bookmark sites like Digg as well.. But you can't just rely on one, it's a good idea to use a bunch..

aletheides, May 31, 2007 IP
  6. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    MySpace is a great place to network, but you don't want to do much direct advertising, or you could lose your account for "spamming"

AngelaE8654, May 31, 2007 IP
  7. ez-online-money.com

ez-online-money.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using Squidoo lately. What I like about it best is how easy it is to rank for really competitive keywords.

ez-online-money.com, May 31, 2007 IP
  8. Naddy

Naddy Peon

Best Answers:
    MySpace can prove to be a goldmine for people know how to work with it. It's always good to gain soem experience and move slowly to be safe.

Naddy, May 31, 2007 IP
  9. Scorpiono

Best Answers:
    I've always knew MySpace might be the key into promoting this, still I'm not using it for so many years as most kids out there. I'll probably ask someone to do it for me ;)

Scorpiono, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  10. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:

Think I may be able to help you, my lense is currently #1 in SEO and affiliate marketing and #26 overall

Everything I used to make that happen is actually on the lens:

http://www.squidoo.com/traffic_building/

John Guanzon, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  11. siteman

siteman Guest

Best Answers:
    Any popular social network that's for more mature audience? I'm not talking about those datings sites, etc, or smaller forums. But rather major networks closer to the myspace/bebo/hi5 for teens.

siteman, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  12. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really hate MySpace. I always feel its a place where the club going people hang out.

qwestcommunications, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  13. Scorpiono

Best Answers:
    My own, http://www.mylol.net - A bit too teenish though

Scorpiono, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  14. BLieve

BLieve Peon

Best Answers:
    This is ridiculous. Don't people get tired of all these social networking sites? Friendster, Hi5, MySpace, Facebook may be the only reasonable one, Bebe, 5 other Im forgetting and now on Alexa, right smack on their homepage, shows that SocialNetworkCenter.com is getting a huge boost in traffic. A lot of bored mofos on the net these days

BLieve, Jun 3, 2007 IP