1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Sites vs. SERPs

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by bigcat1967, Jan 6, 2010.

Which is better? I really think ranking on the first page is better - especially for long tailed KWs - because your getting targeted traffic into your site.

However, just wondering which is really better? Refferal traffic from sites such as Twitter, FB and Youtube - or just plain old ranking high in the SERPs.

I guess I can see the pros and cons of both. For Social sites like Twitter, you can build your network that has the same interest as you. You can occasionally post a link (let's say you wrote an article that's posted on your blog or website) and have ppl click on it. That would be a big plus, however, a lot of ppl really don't look at Twitter or FB but maybe once or twice a week. So your network of let's say 1,000 ppl of the same interest as you, at least half don't log into Twitter to see what's happening.

However, w/ Search, many people will see your site on the first page (let's assume you have your site at #8), but, there are 9 other sites on that page are in a way competing for the searcher's attention.

So what do you guys think? I still rather have my site ranked high in the SERPs. I know you can do it both ways - but which way, in your opinion, would be the better outcome? High in the SERPs or referral traffic from the likes of Twitter, Youtube and FB?

Sidenote: It really depends on the conversions - not the traffic. Also, depends on how many returning visitors and the bounce rate of your site.

bigcat1967, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  2. mikey82

mikey82 Peon

Best Answers:
    High in SERP's for sure. At the end of the day, Google will get you the traffic not twitter, FB, or any of the others. Google is king.

mikey82, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  3. saurabhj

saurabhj Banned

Best Answers:
    I think Google is just the best as no one can give you better traffic then Google but we seriously think about it than if you got a good niche related people in your group at social sites then it will also generate a good amount of traffic to your website.

saurabhj, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  4. Organs

Organs Peon

Best Answers:
    Search engines give the most traffic, and social sites can also bring some traffic if your site is interesting enough.
    It depends a lot on your niche, but in general, SERPs is better.

Organs, Jan 7, 2010 IP
  5. charlota

charlota Peon

Best Answers:
    I think social sites used to promote your'e website and get more traffic...
    SERP's is site if you want to know position ranking...

Thanks

charlota, Jan 7, 2010 IP
  6. arnoldsmithh

arnoldsmithh Peon

Best Answers:
    Both are useful. It totally depends how much time you spent on it. Both are powerful tools for getting business.

arnoldsmithh, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  7. jonmclain

jonmclain Peon

Best Answers:
    I too agree with Mikey82.High SERP in SERP's may drive better traffic than twitter or FB.

jonmclain, Jan 8, 2010 IP