1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SP2 M$ OS destruction!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Sep 27, 2004.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Around? Oh yeah. I may have been babysitting you -- if you look like that current picture, I wish I had been.

minstrel, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  2. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You can disable IE and identify any other browser you want as the default browser, Anthony. And then there is no reason to upgrade to XP, right? IE flaws -- gone. Welcome Mozilla or Firefox or Opera flaws. Have fun.

3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't know Minstrel, but when I put the CD's in the machine that was software for 98 the XP interface would not let me install it.

Maybe I need a programmer to make the old software run on XP, but since NC mentions that he can't run his windows crap on Linux or Apple, I was just wondering why I could not run windows software on XP.

If it is such a wonderful OS like NC says and runs all of the software in the world why did it reject the disk built for 98?

anthonycea, Sep 28, 2004 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  4. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    To answer your question, no I can't.

I think Microsoft should be held accountable for making a system that was completely stable (had not been rebooted in over 6 months) crash within 10 minutes of reboot. Here is why. Their auto update software, that they recommend you enable every chance they get (and I think most of the time it is a good thing), updated my system to SP2. It now is completely unstable.

I have paid for my software (XP Pro, Office XP). I want it to work. I can't get the machine to stay up long enough to uninstall SP2. I am hopefull that when I am at the console, I will be able to. I don't think this is too much to ask.

You know what. I just re-read your question Minstrel. Using your logic is your prerogative. But, I tell you what, I don't think that way. That is what is wrong with most people and businesses today. Doing what is right in your heart is what you should do. Doing something because Johnny did it that way isn't a reason. I am sorry for you if that is actually how you feel.

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    What software were you trying to install that ran on Win98 and could not be installed on WinXP?

mushroom likes this.
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    It was some racing game, but I have had other stuff that would not load at more than one time that was windows software.

So unless the average user wants to hire someone to modify his or her machines then not all windows software can be used on the NEXT version of windows.

Maybe someone with a programming background like you can pull it off Minstrel, but not everyone has a programming background.

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Those who read my posts on other forums know that I recommend to anyone who will listen to turn off auto-update and subscribe to the security notifications instead. Then learn about the OS and read what you can about problems with upgrades BEFORE you install them. SP2 is a MAJOR upgrade to the OS and it was clear before it was released that there were going to be problems on some systems. That was the reason for the delay in its release but eventually Microsoft caved into the pressure to get it out quickly instead of the pressure to make it foolproof. In other forums, I have been advising people NOT to install it until they thoroughly review the list of known problems and conflicts and are satisfied none of them apply to the system they are about to update.

Did Microsoft make some errors in releasing this service pack? Yes... primarily in giving into public pressure instead of waiting until they were ready. Does that mean that all of the criticisms Anthony and othes are leveling against Microsoft have any merit? No.

What question? I've just waded through 19 pages of posts, intermittently stopping to reply here and there, after working 9 hours straight at my office. I can barely remember my name...

8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Good night Minstrel, get some rest, thanks for stopping by, always good to hear from you :)

9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In XP, you can choose to have the game run in "Windows 95 mode" or "Windows 98" mode, etc. That will usually get around a game that balks at starting...

10. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    You only needed to go back one page...

I guess I need to get a subscription to the Minstrel newsletter. :)

Not trying to pick a fight here. I think Microsoft made a serious mistake here. If I can't get that machine working in the next two days, it is going to be a real bummer and will cost me a bunch of money and time (which is already going to cost me money). So, if you think I am wrong for accusing Microsoft of releasing software that doesn't work, I am sorry.

I don't agree with what AC is saying, but at the same time. I don't think many of the posts in this thread were playing fair either.

But, at least I get to hang out in San Diego for a couple of days. :)

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm too wired to rest yet -- bartender? Where the hell is that draft I ordered?

12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    After the software would not load from the auto install, I gave up trying to do anything with it, just thought that it was not possible to run on XP.

To be honest Minstrel, for most folks it is not worth the trouble if a program will not auto install, you might as well get some old box to load it on rather than a new OS.

That's just me........

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Most of us are drunk or simply babblers at this time of the night, we won't hold you responsible for silly answers this late at night Minstrel.

14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Don't you wish the Chargers were a real football team, though? :D

15. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Has any of you read the EULA that came with XP or XP Pro ? I did and went with Linux instead.

XP Home Edition EULA http://proprietary.clendons.co.nz/licenses/eula/windowsxphome-eula.htm

XP Professional EULA http://proprietary.clendons.co.nz/licenses/eula/windowsxpprofessional-eula.htm
    You must agree with the terms of the ELUA before you can run XP

So if you don't like M$ terms go some where else I did.

mushroom, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    So when are you going to start a linux thread and teach us members a few things Mushroom?

Please do start it, would be very interested in learning more about running Linux desktop.

17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    USA Linux Users Group, for all your Linux needs :D

18. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many Linux Forms on the net and they can be more use to you than I can be, I consider myself an advanced user not an expert, so will not be starting a Linux thread.

Back to the question did you read the EULA ?

mushroom, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link Minstrel, Mushroom I don't read that crap, if something does not work for me I trash it in more ways than one.

It is really that simple :cool:

Mushroom you are right about the tech support, when I called M$ with OS questions they refered me back to E-machines for support.

Microsoft will help you if you want to pay on a 900 number or something.

20. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I sure as hell did when I lived down there. Used to kill me when Stan Humphries was QB and winning games...I have no idea how.

Sorry, back to Microsoft bashing!

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP