1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SP2 M$ OS destruction!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Sep 27, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Do I have a right to use a product that I paid for 2 years ago NC, you know what system my mother and I am on, so why keep asking the same question?

I thought you were going to defend the M$ practice of forcing 200 million users to send them 100 bucks?

Microsoft should pay to repair the defective products they SOLD to folks instead of extorting money from their future former customers.

They have 73 Billion in cash that is to be distributed to shareholders as a special dividend, let the greeedy bastards use that to repair this public relations and security disaster that their own lack of innovation has caused.

anthonycea, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Why is an eWeek article "favorable" to MS propoganda, while another eWeek article (th one you cite) critical of MS is somehow "truth"?

Anthony, you are not listening: did you read the article I mentioned? The tide may be truning back, and if so obviously the trend you mention, if it ever existed, can indeed be reversed.

minstrel, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    And by "truning" I, of course, mean "ale"... :eek:

4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, the ONLY thing holding back the linux OS is lack of tech support. But with companies like IBM, Dell, Red Hat, HP and even Wal-Mart marketing systems it is a just matter of time in the enterprise server markets and the consumer market before M$ loses share.

You can not market your way to a stable product, it has to have a secure foundation, M$ products do not have a secure foundation to start with.

Making deals will not produce a secure OS, they have to build one.

If they were fair and produced a good product this discussion would not be happening, but too bad for them neither of the former are the case.

5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    My intention is not to slam Linux (maybe MAC :D but not Linux) -- my websites are hosted on a Linux server, actually...

But I for one do not use Microsoft products because they are a monopoly but precisely because I think they are good products. There are one or two exceptions -- Windows Me was a dog from the start and I loathe MS Money: Quicken is a far superior program, IMO. But for the most part, I like MS products and find them reliable AND secure -- you do have to add in the modicum of common sense and personal responsibility I've mentioned previously but let me repeat: I have NEVER had a virus on any of my computers, from DOS 3.x through to Windows XP.

6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, a cottage industry has developed around spyware scanning and adware and malware removal, why?

Because of Active X API's, only one of the fatal flaws, lets not talk about the registry problems and managing that for the average user.

Drive by downloads are the reason that M$ has problems with IE, now they will not make the browser secure unless folks pay them, sounds like extortion and blackmail to me Minstrel.

If a user can get his computer destroyed simply be surfing the net and looking at a JEPG file where does this lead in the end.

To a lot of zombie machines clogging up the network, is that what you want?

7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    You are taking the world on your sholders Anthony. Yes - many of the points you have made are correct and well observed. However, you can't make people change their mind just by telling them to...

Let it drop, and in the end, if you are right - who will be the one laughing then.

SEbasic, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I have no problems with facing reality SE, my move is to buy a MAC, I do not need to become a security expert to surf the net.

No need for me to fret over M$ security holes if I am not using their OS any longer. Nor should my mother who knows nothing about computers have to become an expert on Spyware, Adware, Viruses and Malware software!

My problems are solved by moving to a secure OS, APPLE MAC PLATFORM!

9. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AC, will you be moving you mother to a MAC as well? As for IE being insecure, don't use it. Use Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, FireFox or any other browser NOT built on IE.

I agree with a lot of what you say AC, but what Minstrel says is bang on. The majority of software manufacturers switch to another OS and make it as easy to install and run, and THAT OS is as easy to use, then I will continue use MS on my home machines and Linux on my servers.

NewComputer, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    My mother will be out of the computing business when her box gets fried, just like a lot of your customers will be NC.

What will you put them into when they come to you with a fried box NC?

I know it is good for M$ to SELL more product, it is great for the bottom line, that is ALL they care about.

They will not get any more money from me, that you can be certain of :cool:

11. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I will give them choices:

1. Upgrade to the newest OS

2. Switch to a Linux OS

3. Build a new machine and either go with Mac, Windows or Linux.

There will also be combinations of the above three. Personally AC, I would make a LOT more money if my customers went with a MAC or Linux on support alone. I wouldn't sleep and would be working all night ;)

People are just more comfortable in a Windows environment (in gerenal) and so a switch would take them out of their comfort zone.

12. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually many of those old virus infected M$ boxes make great Linux desktops, clean the hard drive and install a good Linux Distro like SuSE 9.1 Pro.
    If you buy the boxed version (for $89 US), you get 2 - 500+ page manuals, installation support and an apps list to long to list here.

mushroom, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    mmmm... fries... poutine... Kentucky Fried computers.... with ale of course... :eek:

14. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Out of interest, what would you say about my mac problem?

I can't upgrade the OS because the machine is too slow. It is rife with all sorst of bugs (No not viruses), and I can't use it for the reason it was purchased...

Now this machine is 3+ years old now... Should Apple support the machine and upgrade all the hardware for free so that I can install the new Mac OS, or should I just get a new box?

After all - the imac was the machine aimed at the consumer market, and it doesn't exactly get raving reviews now does it... You said yourself that it is a pile of junk. As a consumer, should I have known better not to buy such a crappy bit of technology? If so does that mean that the upgrade shouldn't be supported by apple - because I should have known better?

SEbasic, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I all ready told you that when offered one of those machines I did not buy it because it was a disposable machine that could not even be opened up to upgrade.

Why keep bringing that back into the thread SE, please defend the M$ decision to force folks to buy a new OS to get a sinking browser update?

Does a company that is sitting on 100's of billions in cash that they do not know what to do with rape the computing users for more because of their own faults?

That is a question and a public relations disaster that Steve Balmer and Bill Gates created, not any of us.

16. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Anthony must have a mac user for a friend. The brain washing begins and then all they say is "mac is the best" "mac's are faster" "mac's have better graphic art programs"

They become like zombies 00 00 00 00 00

My friend Mac even sells and repairs macs now. (His name was Mac since he was little, so I think he should get a kick back on all macs sold.)

I will have to say I wouldn't mind a mac, but the thousands it would cost for the same programs I already have I could not afford. Look up Lindows (new name I forgot) they use linux and try to have functionality like windows. MS sued of course so they had to change their name.

debunked, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the point though... ME was crap, but people still bought it...

Why should it be supported.

In this case there is no difference between the two examples. We are talking about the same thing here, just different companies.

That is the reason I ask. Should my imac be repaired for free? Because essentially, that is what you are asking of for your PC.

SEbasic, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    There are not 400 Million MAC's spreading viruses and malware across the internet, that is the important subject you should be addressing SE :eek:

Are you willing to miss the boat on this by keeping your head buried in the sands of M$ SE?

19. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    That's cause' there's not 400 million macs in existance ;)

If and when the Mac gets a hold of a dominant market share it will be targetted just like Microsoft is.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  20. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    AC, you my friend are the one with your head buried. Continually dodging questions by using questions. My machines do not send viruses. I have 7 machines at home. 1 running windows 98, 1 on ME, 2 on 2003 and the rest XP (and a couple mixed in with Linux to keep fresh). I do this for support. Not one sends out a virus because I take the necessary steps to prevent it. You don't buy a car and say 'Ford should change the oil' or 'do my brakes for free'. You buy it with the understanding that you are probably going to have to put some money down to keep it safe and running properly.

If people are not willing to put enough time in to learn about the machine they are using then they have no one to blame but themselves. 1976 Pinto's are no longer 'supported' by the manufacturer. So, you either continue to drive it knowing that it may not be safe OR you upgrade or buy a different brand of 'car'. Your incessant tossing of these url's about as some sort of defense is not going to help you. We have told you what your options are. It is their OS, so either use it and do what they ask or find another to use that you feel comfortable with. That is what I do...