1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SP2 M$ OS destruction!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Sep 27, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Just another argument that you make that is very easy to shoot down, the Pinto's were all recalled at Ford's expense and they were sued also for Billions of dollars since the gas tanks were blowing up and killing folks.

So another part of your argument is just as easy to dispute also NC.

Is everyone that drives a car a mechanic?

Do you have to be able to fix the bearings in your wheels so the tires do not fall off before you are able to jump in and drive?

Please address the fatal flaws in the M$ OS and quit beating around the bush NC.

If you want to be known as an objective professional in this business, offer solutions, not excuses for M$..

anthonycea, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Anthony, there are "fatal" flaws in every OS available, it's just that no one has taken the time to expose them. People target the biggest ship on the radar, and in the OS market that's Microsoft.

Do really thnk that if the Mac OS was the world wide leader in the OS market that all the viruses/spyware/flaws would just "go away"?

They wouldn't. The authors of all the malware would just shift focus and start hacking the hell out of the Mac OS.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  3. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally disagree with you, authors of all the malware go after the easyest target if M$ usage droped to 20% with Mac and Linux at 40% each M$ would still be the target of over 95% of the malware as it is the least secure.

mushroom, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't know how many times that Windows users need to be told the same thing over and over, Shawn has told this forum the same thing many times Mushroom.

Shawn loves MAC's and he will say something about this when he gets back, rest assured of that.

Bottom line Mushroom: the stage is yours to present your side of the story, take advantage of it while you have a chance.

We have heard all of the Windows excuses, so present the linux side of the story..........

5. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anthony draws some interesting comparisions to other consumer products. Why don't consumers expect the same kind of warranty protection for their software that they do for hardware?

jebby, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    We'll just have to disagree on that.

People target the biggest, not the easiest. Just like all of us (most of us) focus on Google in our SEO efforts. Google's not the easiest search engine to place on, but it's the "biggest".

Why write code to exploit a weakness on a million computers when with the same amount of effort you could exploit tens of millions of machines?

Just my opinion. Let's check back in when the market shifts :D

7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    To stay updated, all XP and windows users will need the following page.

http://www.eweek.com/category2/0,1738,1639508,00.asp

8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Because only a few have actually paid for their M$hite. You have to be a right hypocrite to complain about functionality you haven't paid for. When their hard-earned hotrod breaks down, they know where to go.

This prolly doesn't apply to most of us, being in a professional environment but for most home punters I think it holds true.

T0PS3O, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  9. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anytime somebody buys a computer, it's going to be full of microsoft software. At minimum, these people are paying for it. Yet people expect computers to be buggy and full of problems. They don't expect the same for a blender.

jebby, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  10. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    well, I don't think I have ever agreed with any of AC's theories, but I pretty much blew a gasket this morning and it is due to SP2. I now have to drive down to San Diego from San Francisco tomorrow to finally retrieve my XP box that I have logged into remotely for over a year, without incident. I have been battling with it since the SP2 upgrade and have finally found the reason in a M$ knowledgebase article that bascially is telling me I have to update the bios now to work with XP. Great. Thanks guys. SP2 is working fine on the box I am typing this on, but not on others that I own. The fact of the matter is that M$ has convinced the world that it is ok to release software that doesn't work. If they can figure out that SP2 is going to necessitate me updating the bios on my MB, can't they tell me that before hand?

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Chachi, sorry to hear you have been on the wrong side of the issues for the longest period of time. :D

12. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
  13. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Anthony,

I've read all your complaints…where's your solution? How should Microsoft handle their business? How would you handle it if it were yours?

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Guy from Chicago, just trust M$ and their updates, why would you need experts that are independent? :D

Keep your faith in Uncle Bill, he loves you :rolleyes:

If I delivered a bad product to my customers, I would not expect them to pay me when I came to resolve the situation.

Do you think that is good business GFC?

See if these guys put their trust in M$, I am sure you will find fault with the researchers in the following link.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5387380.html?tag=zdnn.alert

:eek: :mad:

15. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Most malware wirters are now doing it for profit and a profitable explote of Linux or Macs is infinitely more difficult, if not impossible.

mushroom, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  16. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AC, read the following http://www-124.ibm.com/linux/papers/security/Linux-Security-IBM-White-Paper.pdf and then come back here (AFTER YOU HAVE READ IT)

Just so the rest of you know what this is, it is a 39 page whitepaper from IBM to the new LINUX users about their security issues. I wasn't going to post it, but AC has finally crossed the line. Just so you know AC, this 39 pages will continue to grow as more 'exploits' are found....

Shouldn't IBM ship this fixed?

NewComputer, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I consider myself "independent" on the subject at hand, I don't work exclusively with Microsoft products nor do I always recommend them as solutions if there's something better for the client(s) in question.

I didn't pay a dime for SP2. Who's paying for security updates or patches?

Come on Anthony, answer my original questions. What's your solution? How should Microsoft handle issue related to their OS? Should they just give Windows away for free? Should buying a Windows 3.1 license entitle the customer to every subsequent version of Windows (for free) ever released? I want to see your solution.

18. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Nothing's impossible.

The only reason it's not profitable is because there are not enough machines running any other OS. If there were, like I stated previously, the manufacturer's of the other OS would quickly find out what it feels like to have thousands of hackers around the world poking though their software for exploits.

19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    GFC, you must have not read any of the supporting articles in this thread, but anyone that does not have XP must pay M$ 99 Bucks to upgrade to XP or they can not get the stinkin IE update.

Maybe one of our resident experts like NC can explain it to you since you do not want to read the support material provided in this thread.

20. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    LOL, paying to upgrade to XP and paying for a security patch are two totally different things. There's a big difference between upgrade and update.

If you want to keep running older versions of Windows and don't want to pay the upgrade fee for Windows XP, don’t. It's not like your software will stop working.

SP2 was released for XP users.