1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SP2 M$ OS destruction!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Sep 27, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    XP is flawed and so is XP SP2

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1637596,00.asp

FIX YOUR OWN FLAWS, BUY A MAC

:mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

anthonycea, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Update to XP then or use a different browser. MS is not a non profit company.

They can label them however they want - and I can choose to ignore those labels. You don't convey a sense of professionalism or give yourself any credibility when you use terms like "the devil" to describe a company.

You're all over the place, I never said Windows or SP2 was completley secure. No OS is. That's why they provide UPDATES to their customers for free.

1, that doesn't answer my question at all. 2, I agree with what's stated in that article. I'm sure they could overcome it, but it just might not make sense from a business point of view.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    XP, just like every other OS that has ever or will ever exist, is flawed. I think they should provide free updates (not upgrades) for a reasonable period of time.

Software's not perfect, never will be. Every piece of software that exists has a flaw of some kind, it's just a matter of how hard people have been looking to find and exploit that flaw.

4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I think MS should patch the browser for all Windows users, it should not be a part of the OS.

The only reason they are saying that is this: they used the excuse that the browser is part of the OS because of the Anti-trust lawsuit as you will read in the following article. They are lying to cover up lies, any lawyer will tell you not to do that, because you can't remember the lies you told and will get caught. They are caught in their own trap.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5378443.html

M$ is full of BS :mad:

5. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    It is interesting to me. In most other businesses, "flaws" are not tolerated. Most flaws become actionable once someone has incurred some sort of damages with other products. Wondering why that sort of thing is tolerated when it comes to software.

I buy a set of tires from you that are flawed and I crash into a telephone pole, your a$$ is grass. So, why is it that we have come to expect that, to use your words GFC, "Software's not perfect, never will be"...and that that is ok? I don't think that is the case with most software companies out there. If Qwest's software took a dump on ebay, you think ebay is just gonna say, well I hope there is an update available. I don't think so. I doubt you guys think so either. So, I guess my question is, do you guys really feel this way, or are you just tired of AC's rants? :)

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the OS was released with flaws. I believe that any and all operating systems have flaws. They may not have been exploited, but they are flawed. I have yet to purchase any software that I did not have to patch or update at some point. Look at Norton, how come their security was built already with the 'future' of viruses built in? It's because you cannot predict things like this and what smarter people are going to do to smart people they do not like.

NewComputer, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  7. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I know there is flawed software out there. I am not trying to say that M$ is the only company that releases flawed software by any means. I was curious if you guys feel the software was flawed when they released it.

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  8. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Yes, I absolutely believe it was flawed before it left the warehouse. No one knew what the flaws were though. You have to remember, with testing, they cannot possibly predict what people are going to use their machines for and in what combination of software programs and apps. So to know ahead is very difficult. Security wise, they should have done a better job. Not a better alternative out there yet though.....

9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    NC, you are starting to make some objective posts, but you seem to be stuck on this no better OS out there hype.

Steve Jobs has called MS OS a crappy OS, do you want me to find the quote? If you do want to see the article I will go out and find it.

Maybe one of our expert searchers will find the articles before I do and post them.

We know you are a professional NC, but can you try to be objective remembering that folks are going to be reading these threads years from now?

10. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's possible to have "perfect" software. The software should meet standards at release, but asking for perfection (at the time of sale and into the future) isn't really realistic. When it comes to software I think patches and fixes will always be part of the deal. I accept it because I know while no software is perfect, it sure beats using a pen & paper :)

11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Here is a victory just announced for a better OS and a better future for computing.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-5387914.html?tag=zdnn.alert

Get used to it guys, M$ days as the one and only are coming to a quick end :D

12. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    well, I for one was a big XP backer, right out of the box. The OS was the most stable M$ OS I had ever used...and I have used pretty much all of them. I have a few linux boxes as well, I really don't want to get into the "better" discussion. I was almost on the M$ bandwagon and thought they had cleaned up their act with XP and XP Pro, but after this SP2 nonsense I have (and am still experiencing) with 2 machines, I do not feel the same way.

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  13. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    That is pretty sad reasoning, but I will go with it. :)

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  14. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    If a better total solution comes along I'll be first to use it personally and suggest it to my clients. I don't have any loyalty to Microsoft, I just understand and don't object to everything they've done. They're not perfect, but they own the market share right now.

15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I will tell you that if you talk to most of the kids taking computer science as a major, they will tell you that M$ is a joke within most of the schools today.

So what that tells me is this, if the future leaders in the tech industry do not like M$ OS then M$ OS will lose market share to open source computing in a big way.

You can only buy dedication so long, they can try to hire every kid coming out of school and convert them by M$ dollars, but I do not think that outlawing Linux or buying every brain coming out of school will work long term.

16. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I'm sure Windows will lose market share as time goes on. It's just the nature of business. The question is how fast? That depends on the quality (and the marketing) of their upcoming releases.

17. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Listen cowboy, Steve Jobs can be as bitter, err, I mean say whatever he wants. Until an OS comes out that supports all the software I use and does not force me to buy all new software, then I am not going to buy it. I have not had a virus in at least 10 years. I feel pretty secure, but I also know that if someone wants to hack my machine, they probably can. Tell Steve J. to create a better OS that runs on my machine and supports my software and costs less and I am in....

18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Was I able to use any of my software that I had invested in that ran on 98 on XP, no NC, you have to get real.

Do you think your software is going to go with you into the next life?

Do you think that Apple thinks about what NC is using as far as programs are concerned before they design the next generation OS?

19. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Chachi, did you happen to download the beta version when it 'first' came out. What I mean is, they offered programmers and network admin a beta copy that some people posted links to before it was complete. I had a LOT of problems with that. I have not had problems with this latest version.

20. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    If they want my business and the 90% of the rest of the worlds they should consider what programs I am using.