1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SP2 M$ OS destruction!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by anthonycea, Sep 27, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If I buy a G-5 Mac tomorrow, there is no software that I have in windows today that I will not be able to buy for MAC.

Even M$ office is available for MAC.

Your balloon has holes in it NC, one thing for sure, you will have a warehouse full of fried PC's real soon to liquidate :D

You did not answer my question NC, why can't I use the windows software I bought for 98 on my XP boxes? Another hole in your balloon there?

anthonycea, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  2. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    NC, unfortunately, I did not. I wish I had done that on a different box. I made a rookie mistake and figured that M$ was on the right track with XP Pro, and updated my main work box (which is 900+ miles away) to SP2. Some times I have to be reminded in a harsh way. :)

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! I lnew my earlier "exploding car" reference would catch on! :D

But did they actually make it as late as 1976? After a while, time is such a blur...

Bartender? Another round of draft! And make it snappy, please... people in here are getting cranky and it's past my nap time! :eek:

minstrel, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, you have turned these kids into rebels with those terms you gave them. Glad you are back to control the mad mob, most of them simply want to take cheap shots at me and Steve Jobs. They must have been reading your posts :D

Were you around in the 60's and 70's because you know alot about cars that blow up when hit from the rear :cool:

5. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I thought the Pinto had a rear brake locking problem, not a combustion problem.

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:

Damm Chachi, you were not even an idea in your dad's mind yet when Pinto's and Vega's were around, I would bet my XP box on it, even after the SP2 update :D

The Pinto should have been called "Dynamite", because if you got hit from behind you were a car bomb.

Yes the good old USA invented car bombs also in addition to pizza. :)

7. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I rode to many a Dodger game tucked into the back hatch of a yellow Pinto. Come on AC, I am Chachi. Don't tell me you have never heard of me?

Should I sent you my mailing address for the XP box?

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:

LUCKY YOU DID NOT GET HIT IN THE REAR DUDE, HOW OLD ARE U?

http://vivisimo.com/search?v%3Asources=Web&query=ford+pinto+fires&x=60&y=13

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

9. jebby

jebby Active Member

Best Answers:
    Related to this: my friend is a masters student in computer science. The other night he attended a microsoft event where they attracted students with a chance at a free x-box if they would come listen to a pitch for .NET.

Reminds me of some of the scams to sell timeshares where they'll give you a free vacuum or something if you let them try to convince you to buy a timeshare. :rolleyes:

jebby, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  10. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Good story Jason, but do not beat around the bush, just tell us when you were born :cool:

12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Nonsense. The appeal of MS is it's ubiquity and the fact that you can annoy billions of users with one virus/worm/trojan. If it were harder to crack, that wouldn't stop the virus writers -- it would simply make it more of a challenge.

Numbers, mushroom... that's why they are drawn to Microsoft. Numbers and publicity.

13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    By your own description, it's not the software that isn't working -- it's the hardware. XP supports more hardware than any other OS I know about.. Linux and Mac are far more limited.

14. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't agree with that 100%. The original release of XP Pro supported the hardware fine. Only when SP2 was released was there an issue.

The hardware works fine. I plug it in, turn it on, the board posts. :)

I agree that XP supports more hardware than probably anything out there. That was one of the things I loved about it most. It was by far the best OS M$ has released at recognizing hardware and will even get updated drivers for you. It is great in that regard. XP is the best M$ OS to run my M$ software, connected to my M$ wireless USB NIC, connected to my XBox, connected to my....

AC - 1971

chachi, Sep 28, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I hear what you are saying, but the Beatles were wrong, money can buy you love, because folks love money :D

As bad as the economy is right now, a lot of folks would LOVE to work for Bill Gates, infact if he paid me 500 grand a year I would be his biggest booster.

Goes to show you how money can buy me love, la la la la la, la la, la, la, la, la, laaaaaaa.........

I sure as hell know that an X-box that I will be able to buy at the flea market for 10 bucks next year won't buy me love :mad:

16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Internet Explorer is and always has been a free browser. You didn't pay for it. You're not being asked to pay for it twice.

If you don't like Microsoft's free browser, get one of the others, or buy Opera. Then it won't cost you anything at all and you can keep running Windows Me to your heart's content.

17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    How can you say that when M$ insists that it is part of the OS Minstrel.

18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Supplementary question:

Can you name one, just one, operating system or major software that was released without bugs/glitches/flaws or whatever term you prefer?

Why should Microsoft be held to a different standard than everyone else?

<rant>god I hate that tired old M$ gag... boring... boring... totally lacking in originality or imagination... boring</rant>

19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Your analogy is flawed: When was the last time you crashed your computer into a telephone pole? Where does any EULA -- for any piece of software guarantee that it is free of bugs?

But it is. Go back and read those EULAs -- they all tell you the same thing.

I really feel this way. And I think we should all give AC a positive vote for being the most persistent thread starter and thread-keeper-going-er in the world -- I cannot believe how long this thread has gone on -- I'm still back on page 15 after almost an hour!

C'mon now, dudes and dudettes: Let's get AC his green button back! :eek:

20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't know of any reason why not, other than possibly incompetence or failure to read the instructions. There were one or two drivers that you may have had to upgrade and perhaps a patch or two to download -- I didn't replace any software and some of it goes back further than Windows 98.