1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a business directory

Discussion in 'General Business' started by nemanja.todic, Jul 9, 2012.

Hi All,

Couple of my IT friends are planning to start a content rich, highly professional business directory and currently they are doing some research on the subject.

I advised them to target specific niche. For example, wedding industry. That way, they will only accept companies that do work related to the weddings( restaurants, musicians, decorators, clothes sellers etc).
    What is in you opinion better in this situation - to target a specific niche( like wedding industry) or to create "have it all" business directory?

You should also know that they idea is a bit more than just a web 2.0 directory. They are planning to offer discounts to visitors and to offer very rich presentation for each company that is registered - something like a "microsite" inside the main directory. Also, they will offer promotion services - they will wrote articles, build social community for their clients etc.
    That way visitors will have more than just a directory - it would be a place to read news, get discount coupons and read and write reviews. In one word - everything that is required to find a perfect vendor.

What do you think about this idea in general? Is there any suggest? Should they target specific niche?

Thanks in front!

nemanja.todic, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  2. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi there!

I can recommend one amazing book for you to look over that talks about building a web directory. http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior...t-more-clients-faster-easier-than-ever.html#1

This is the best book on building a directory because not only does it talk about the business but it provides you a mega list of niches that work for that type of business.

Now some tips ! First keep your site design simple. Be sure you build a list of both businesses and customers so that you can promote everything from offline goodies to sales in that field of business. Build a good social standing for your directory and make it mobile phone friendly.

When it comes to niches... go specific or go to location specific. Going general is just too hard. Would you make a general adsense website? -- never because it would suck. Having focus is the best way to go.

If you need more help.. PM me.. I own two directory websites so I'm pretty good at the field. :) Good luck!

sweetcrabhoney18, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  3. Jay | 2DLmedia

Jay | 2DLmedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely specific niches in specific locations. E.g. "Cantonese-Restaurants in Los Angeles"
    Easy to rank for. But make sure the niche/location is big enough. To stay with my restaurants example: if there are only three cantonese restaurants in LA, none of them would shell out 97 bucks per month for a premium-ranking on the directory, i guess ;)

Jay | 2DLmedia, Jul 11, 2012 IP
  4. Jestuh

Jestuh Member

Best Answers:
    I like the idea of starting off in a specific field, but I would recommend also picking a certain area/region. Listing everything is not as good as listing the best, so you should be familiar with the businesses you're listing (at least at first).

Jestuh, Jul 29, 2012 IP