1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a freebie site, what to do?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by MidwestMerchant, Dec 4, 2006.

Hey everyone..I decided to start a freebie site and Im curious what would you recommend using? Could you refer a nice script?

At first I thought I would use some sort of reviews php script..but I couldn't find one I liked..Then I decided to check into news publishing scripts..but again, I couldn't find anything that looked like it would work for me..

I'd really appriciate some feedback and maybe a script that will work well with my freebie site that offers different surveys, ringtones..etc..Thanks in advance :)

MidwestMerchant, Dec 4, 2006 IP
  2. Nikolas

Nikolas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What about a wordpress or other blog software?

I guess there will be many mods/plugins for making what you want.

Nikolas, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  3. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    go for joomla cms there are review mods and news mods all what you need ,or phpnuke is also good too.

010081, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  4. AntelopeSalad

AntelopeSalad Peon

Best Answers:
    I just started using wordpress. wordpress is the first CMS I gave a fair shot to (going past just initially installing it and fiddling in the admin panel).

All of the following plugins listed below are controllable through the admin front end using easy to use forms to setup the options, as well as format the way they are displayed. You are also in full control of where they are displayed (by pasting the supplied template codes directly into your template files).

1) Poll
    - Typical poll system.
    - User votes on an option, and then is displayed the results rather than the question.
    - Locked by IP and cookie.
    - Ability to view archived polls.

2) Rating system
    - Ability to setup a rating system. Example would be 1 to 5 stars, but you're not limited to stars, or "5 stars" as the max.
    - Same security as the poll (IP and cookie locked).
    - Ability to rate any item you want. It's not for a specific type of content. You just drop the small function on what you want rated (like inside the news output loop -- to rate every piece of news you write), and that's it.
    - Users simply click on the star they want to rate it as (if you use stars), and that's it.

3) Download
    - Add the file location, category, a title, and description.
    - It keeps track of how many times the file was downloaded, the size, etc.
    - Users can comment on the download as well.

A review system would need to be coded by hand I think, since it varies so much on what you need. What are you reviewing? What type of info do you want to be displayed (or edited) in the admin front end (ie. what makes it different than a standard news post).

You could probably just copy the download plugin code to get an idea of what you need to do then modify the fields to suite your needs.

I didn't install a survey plugin, but I know one exists. I was digging through their plugin forums and found a pretty big thread about a survey plugin. It's out there if you want it. The same goes for a quiz plugin.

There are also multiple bridges to popular forums (phpBB, SMF, and maybe even vB) too.

The thing I like about wordpress is it's very minimal. The core of it works great, and if you need to expand it (to do stuff other than being a typical blog) you can easily do it with plugins.

AntelopeSalad, Dec 5, 2006 IP
  5. Tikoutikou

Tikoutikou Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Wordpress can be used as an awesome cms and it is easy to use.

Tikoutikou, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  6. MidwestMerchant

MidwestMerchant Banned

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips and information guys. I finally decided to give xoops cms a shot since Ive had prev. experience with it..However, I am already starting to have problems..wordpress is sounding more and more appealing for me now

MidwestMerchant, Dec 12, 2006 IP