1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a new e-business with minimal investments. Where to begin?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by flakas123, Oct 28, 2010.

Hello,
    I am a programmer, I specialize in WEB development, but usually I work for others. Now I'd like to start working for myself. I tried starting my own e-business a couple of times, but unsuccessfully (with very little research), so I'm relatively new to all of this.

So I wonder how do you start a new business? Do you pick a topic you like talking about and build a website around it? What do you do when you're out of ideas or your ideas would interest only small groups?
    Maybe there are any good articles regarding this topic?

As for investments - well, I have some time, up to an hour a day wouldn't cause big problems (when the business is up and running). Domain and server/hosting wouldn't be a problem either.

I'm not aiming for big money, even a dollar a day would probably be enough (while I get a better understanding how to do it properly).

I hope you would help me to start. Any help is appreciated.

flakas123, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  2. BacklinkingNOW

BacklinkingNOW Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, picking a topic you enjoy talking about certainly helps. Don't get me wrong. But it seems as you have no idea what exactly you are up to. At least I didn't get it. Yes, you could start building websites around topics you enjoy. Or have a look at popular magazines, Google trends or the ebay pulse to find things that people are crazy about now. Throw up a few sites, build links like crazy and integrate some monetizing (adsense, cpa etc.). That's one way to go. But what I thought first was "Hey, this guy is a web designer/programmer. Why doesn't he offer his expertise on rentacoder and such sites?!". Maybe this is what you should do next. Bid on projects and earn money with what you are specialized in. There's plenty of work to do and money to earn.

BacklinkingNOW, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  3. flakas123

flakas123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for reply :)
    Yes, I don't now exactly what I should do, I think I should set up a website or a blog. Just I think things that I'm interested in aren't very popular (or it would be hard to grow with such topics), e.g. programming.
    As for working as a freelancer - I am pretty much doing that right now on small scale, but I look at that as one-time payments and I suppose working for myself would be more profitable. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

flakas123, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  4. BacklinkingNOW

BacklinkingNOW Peon

Best Answers:
    There's just one way to find out. Try. Build a blog. Or try building two at a time. One about a topic you are interested in and one about "where the money is". Give it a year and see how far you come. Educate yourself while you work on it. All the best!

BacklinkingNOW, Oct 28, 2010 IP
  5. AlfredSiliano

AlfredSiliano Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, creating a blog would be a great idea. I would also suggest try to pick business that is well suited to your talents then market your business effectively by posting classified ads to major sites and creating press releases, it can be another great way to get the word out about your business.

AlfredSiliano, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  6. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    do anything that interests you. It can be anything from blogging, SEO, programming or article submission. First start it as free and slowly you can make it paid one.

olddocks, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  7. ~~~~

~~~~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Create a professional website offering your services and advertise it. Approach people personally and do some hard work of finding clients :)
    that works,
    -S

~~~~, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  8. sassyface78

sassyface78 Peon

Best Answers:
    You really need to do some research first before attempting to set up a business online. What area will you go into, who are your competitors, what will be your selling point etc. Then you need to think about website, online marketing...

sassyface78, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  9. swasts

swasts Peon

Best Answers:
    promote affiliate link(it is internet business I think)...you just require minimal investment....but you need knowledge about making website and SEO....

swasts, Nov 1, 2010 IP
  10. seanyg

seanyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Pick something that:

1) you enjoy

2) people need or demand

I have made the mistake of skipping #1 on multiple occasions and this has lead to failed businesses. The middle point between something you like and a solution to a problem is where the money is made!

seanyg, Nov 1, 2010 IP
  11. jhng000

jhng000 Peon

Best Answers:
    even if you dont have the money on starting a business, you can start your business now, you just have to know what you like and have the passion for work

jhng000, Nov 3, 2010 IP