1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a Pet-Specific Website/Forum?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by m1ndless, Jul 7, 2010.

I am looking into starting a site for a specific type of pet, the market is very unsaturated, there is only 2 websites that show up on google relating to the pet, and they're both horribly designed and outdated, and I feel I could come up with a better functioning website to compete with them. I checked out the adwords keyword tool and the main keyword gets around 300k global search each month.

I just recently got started doing web design, and have a pretty solid design going for the site and I have started to write content for the site already as well. The site would basically be how to keep and raise this type of pet properly, along with a forum for discussion, and eventually an online store.

I am looking into domains for the site, not sure what would work best? I didn't list the actual name, just so no one steals my idea, you would repalce the word pet with the actual name. :cool:

- www.petguide.com
    - www.pet-guide.com
    - www.petforum.com
    - www.allpet.com

Which of these would work best for this type of site? I personally like the first one, but not sure if guide is an appropriate term?

Any advice for a nich type of site like this for a beginner would be great.

m1ndless, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  2. marry444

marry444 Guest

Best Answers:
    Very nice. There are only few forums related to pets.

marry444, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  3. m1ndless

m1ndless Peon

Best Answers:
    Do we know if the adwords keyword tool is accurate or not? 300k global monthly searchs seems like a good oppurtunity to me.

m1ndless, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  4. TheBlogMan

TheBlogMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a very good opportunity and if you can provide good info on the 'pet' then you should hopefully do quite well.

TheBlogMan, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  5. Gables55

Gables55 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pet niche is a very SMART idea! People love their pets and are constantly looking for other pet lover around the world. I personally like the petguide.com and petforum.com. I wouldnt add the hyphen, simply because it will be harder for people to get to that site.

:)

Gables55, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  6. samb0057

samb0057 Active Member

Best Answers:
    One thing - do NOT get a domain name with hyphens. People will not remember the hyphen.

samb0057, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  7. m1ndless

m1ndless Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies, sounds like the www.petguide.com would work best.

The main site I have for competition is about 5 years old, and it doesn't look like they've touched it since then, but it has a decent alexa ranking, over 50k backlinks, and ranks #1. How long would it take for me to rank up there with that site?

m1ndless, Jul 8, 2010 IP