1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting A Resume Business in my local area

Discussion in 'General Business' started by LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh, May 16, 2014.

I've found there are a ton of people in my area looking for jobs and I thought, maybe I could sell them resumes the help them acquire jobs much easier. I've already decided on a domain name and I am currently trying to work up some marketing strategies.

For marketing strategies i'm thinking of advertising in high schools and my local paper. If you all can give me some tips and pointers about selling resumes online please do reply to my thread.

Thanks!

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh, May 16, 2014 IP
    khirad likes this.
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt you will make money at this. Today's generation is smart enough to EASILY use MS Office + Google + Professional Resume templates to put together something that is probably just as good (if not much better) than what you can do. Now add in the fact that most High School and College students are usually broke and you have an unsuccessful business model.

Every modern high school and EVERY college always has a resume writing class. And every student can look up 1 million resume writing tutorials online. Why the hell do they need you? They don't and won't use you.

NetStar, May 17, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Let me put it this way:
    Your idea=the Titanic.
    Implementing it= the iceberg.
    We all know what happened when the Titanic hit the iceberg right?;)

Spoiltdiva, May 17, 2014 IP
  4. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips guys.

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh, May 17, 2014 IP
  5. John Pagulayan

John Pagulayan Member

Best Answers:
    It's not that we're discouraging you from doing what you want. But one way to know if you're business is going to be a hit whether online or offline, is to check if there are other people doing it.

Competition is good and if you know someone who's already doing it, just follow or model what they do. There's no need to reinvent the wheel because most of the time untested ideas don't end up being profitable.

John Pagulayan, May 17, 2014 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  6. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

Best Answers:
    You know at one time electricity and using light bulbs was an untested idea.

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh, May 17, 2014 IP
  7. John Pagulayan

John Pagulayan Member

Best Answers:
    I really hope you're not trying to start an argument here.

For one, you're talking about an invention. Don't flatter yourself by putting your idea of selling resumes right in that category.

Do you honestly think you're the very first one to hatch that idea of selling resumes to people?

And yes they were untested ideas but that was way before people have the internet. And once they were tested to be profitable, how many people followed suit? A lot!

Let me give you examples. Facebook is not the first of its kind and neither is google as a search engine. But they took what's already proven to work and gave it their own twist. Heck even digitalpoint.com as a forum is not the first.

Look if you want to be stubborn about it then go ahead and pursue what you like. It's your time and money to waste anyway.

What my point is and everyone elses who have been doing marketing online and offline in general is that great and unfound ideas are hard to come by these days.

You don't have to be some idea maverick to earn. Do your niche or market research wisely and find an already profitable market to sell to and narrow it down to where you can make an impact.

John Pagulayan, May 17, 2014 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Can you advise as to what resume-writing credentials you have to launch this business? Are you a professional resume writer with the appropriate training and certifications? I am trying to understand what is going to make your service compelling and to what demographics you are going to target?

In the U.S., anyway, the career coaching/resume writing competitive landscapes are saturated with everything from 1,000+-employee agencies to 1-man shops and everything in between. The big places have outbound telephone sales reps that scour linkedin and other sources for the unemployed to sell such services to. The real killer in this industry (and I had a company that was in it for a few years) is that the VAST majority of job seekers, young, middle-aged, and old, will not spend one penny to invest in themselves in career coaching, resume writing, or other job-seeking tools. My company had an effective and economical tool for job seekers and we learned this lesson the hard way. Add to that all of the free services from government agencies, charitable organizations, and online sources and it is not that surprising why many small commercial companies in this industry come and go all of the time.

The average job seeker just keeps banging his or her head against the same wall that they have been hitting since the beginning of their careers, however long or short that may be. Tough, tough market.

jrbiz, May 18, 2014 IP
  9. LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh

Best Answers:
    So your saying find a market that's already proven and try to grab some market share?

LaasuunKaan Bsharoegh, May 18, 2014 IP
  10. janinaherz

janinaherz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see 50:50 chances of your idea to get successful, but if you help them in searching job related to their education, experience and interest, you may win.
    Good Luck

janinaherz, May 19, 2014 IP
  11. DanielJames

DanielJames Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am not sure why you want such task to do as you can't make money from this. Many online job sites like Mihnati.com, bayt, indeed, simplyhired and many more are providing such data, then why job seekers or employers will come to you. But one thing if you provide employers some good resources with low rates then you can definitely earn something extra. But for this you need some serious tasks. Hope this will work for you!

DanielJames, May 19, 2014 IP
  12. khirad

khirad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Linked and Facebook will be Good place for Online marketing
    For Offline wallpapers and pamphlets in colleges i guess

khirad, May 19, 2014 IP
  13. John Fisihetau

John Fisihetau Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You could teach a course in resume building. I think the main selling point for me would be some consulting about how I sell myself with my resume. Although all students do have access to resume classes, one on one time with a professional could really tip the scales in helping a student or whoever learn how to put a powerful resume together.

John Fisihetau, May 27, 2014 IP
  14. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    May I ask which country you planning on taking up the business? If you require Offshore Sales team to handle conversions then contact me and I can setup upto 5 sales Boys/Girls for startup for nominal Monthly costs and remember that for every business there is risk and capital involved.

jazzyjmnote, May 28, 2014 IP
  15. chase_buie

chase_buie Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I believe this a good service to offer, but like many others have stated there is no money in it by itself. If you want to sell resumes you are going to have to offer other services as well to have any chance at making anything. Go to employment agencies in your area and see what they do and try to improve it to drive the clientele to you as well as trying to make a big push on the internet. Hope this helps.

chase_buie, May 29, 2014 IP
  16. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    As for me this idea can work only in some far-off regions in India and Bangladesh still. But you will make only little money from it.
    It won't work in the States

Karuna17, May 29, 2014 IP