1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting out - have a few simple questions

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Extol, Apr 14, 2011.

I'd like to make a start on something like a blog but have a few questions for those more experienced than myself. I've only ever worked with free hosts (wordpress.com & blogger etc) in the past and am now seriously considering buying a domain, hosting - the works.

The biggest hurdle for me is deciding what to write about. Whether I should stay within one area (for example: technology) or do I have a better chance at succeeding if I cover several areas (for example: technology, media, news, music etc)?

What has worked best for you?

Extol, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  2. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are a blogger its best to stay on one topic because it is better for returning visitors and ranking.

Laceygirl, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  3. johaswe

johaswe Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should try to cover something important and or new. Keep an eye on the news, what would people most likely google?

johaswe, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  4. saicou

saicou Peon

Best Answers:
    concentration gathers man power... if you cover several different themes, you probably will need more time to make your work better

saicou, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  5. Extol

Extol Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all those that posted. I guess that it makes a lot of sense as it's definitely about quality over quantity; instead of focusing on 15 different things poorly.

Thanks again.

Extol, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  6. danider

danider Member

Best Answers:
    Well like everyone said..cover one niche, but i think you should cover not the niche technology, but a sub-niche of it :) It will be easier for and if you find good keywords to rank for you will get a lot of money.

danider, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  7. fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep it focussed and keep it on a subject you know - or a subject that you will enjoy researching, or you will be bored to trars before too long.

fatbaldbloke, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  8. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Concentrate on ONE Subject ...

w3bmaster, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  9. c4cyber

c4cyber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well...as everyone said here, focus on on topic at a time as you are starting out.
    Now, what you should write about??
    Do you have interests? Like movies, music, cars, cricket etc.
    if yes, list atleast 25 to 30 interests of yours.
    Than choose what you are really passionate about or know about.

Its kind of long process..but i tried to give u an idea. if you need more help, you can pm me. I think i can help you in this.

c4cyber, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  10. Jakiller

Jakiller Member

Best Answers:
    As c4cyber already told you, you should post on a ttopic you like, if you are an avid soccer fan, then post about soccer, and so on.

Jakiller, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  11. leakhna

leakhna Peon

Best Answers:
    Choose one topic you are interested the most. If you are looking for money, you should go to blogger.com since they are free and ads allowed.

leakhna, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  12. tigerwebstudio

tigerwebstudio Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

We would recommend getting a wordpress blog with your own hosting and own domain, wordpress is the best blogging platform on earth, you would want to focus on one topic to build a strong audience of that interest, research keywords that's relevant to your topic and use them in your articles so search engines can find you using theme keywords. I would recommend getting wordpress hosting that's already setup and ready to go, it will eliminate the need of installing one if you're inexperienced, we have wordpress hosting plans for $4.99/mo, their wordpress ready with your own domain so you can just sign up and blog.

I hope that this helps you out, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

tigerwebstudio, Apr 15, 2011 IP