1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sticky situation

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by FreakyLime, Jul 29, 2007.

Because I'm a poor ol' bum, I've been using GIMP for a year or so and have now found myself half decent at it. I can do most things and make some pretty cool looking signatures.

Now I can afford Photoshop CS3. So is it worth ditching GIMP and practicing up on CS3 or staying with a free program?

Thanks in advance :)

FreakyLime, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  2. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop CS3 is free... if you know how to get it =D. And YES I'd advise switching to photoshop. It pwns all other gfx programs.

Piggy, Jul 29, 2007 IP
  3. FreakyLime

FreakyLime Guest

Best Answers:
    Yarr matey?

Alright, shall invest my time into CS3.

FreakyLime, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  4. Metal-CX

Metal-CX Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd personally highly recommend using CS2 and not CS3. CS3 is kind of overwhelming.

I've been using PS for about 4-5 years now and you can view my portfolio here http://metal-cx.deviantart.com/

So with that said, I'm not some graphics newbie with a random opinion. And I think CS2 is better.

Metal-CX, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're just creating simple web graphics and fiddling with photos "for the web", then the GIMP is probably all you need.

If you're learning Photoshop from scratch, then starting with CS3 is a good idea - not much use having to learn CS2, then learns CS3 when you update.

Kerosene, Jul 30, 2007 IP
  6. Solid_Nuts

Solid_Nuts Active Member

Best Answers:
    Gimp is pretty good! i've started trying it out these last couple of days and i'm impressed!

Solid_Nuts, Aug 1, 2007 IP
  7. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can afford PS, go for it-- or if there's a trial, try it out first. Gimp does most things PS does, and the tools look practically the same, but for instance if you have a bunch of other Adobe things, or want to print in color, it's nice to have.

If you were going to steal it, you would have already, yaar? : )

Metal-CX, great gallery @ DA... someone asks you if the Oh Balls ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46336491/ ) was made in 3ds Max... but it's also in PS??

Stomme poes, Aug 2, 2007 IP
  8. simonmc

simonmc Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a nice Range Rover down the road from me. I will nick the guys keys through his letterbox and it's mine.

Don't steal the software. It just makes it more expensive for us who pay for it. If you are serious about business and you decide to have your own design studio later on you will be very frustrated at the high price of the software.

simonmc, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  9. SpiritOf1970

SpiritOf1970 Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally have been involved with Adobe Photoshop since CS2, never tried GIMP though, and all I can say is that PS is the ultimate tool if you're serious about gettin' some real work done.
    Photoshop CS3 is pure GOLD, it works much faster than CS2 and it is much more stable, and while feature-wise it may not be too different from its predecessor, it's definitely easier to work with CS3 than CS2. So if you're thinking of buying Photoshop, go for the latest release - you won't regret it. The regular version (not Extended one) costs about $650, so it's a lot of money, yeah, but in the end, you won't have spent them in vain.

SpiritOf1970, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  10. chicomalo

chicomalo Guest

Best Answers:
    I would go for CS2. There is so much help referenced already for this program. You will not find much literature related to CS3 just yet.

chicomalo, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  11. SpiritOf1970

SpiritOf1970 Peon

Best Answers:
    As I've said, CS3 is not that different from CS2 feature-wise, it's main strong points would be much-improved stability, faster loading times, bug-free text tool, refine-edge function... Duh, a lot things XD Anyway, the way I see it, it wouldn't be wise to buy CS2 and then later purchase CS3, 'cause you'd be just wasting your money on CS2. Go ahead and get CS3, period, there's plenty of shared features you can get tons of learning material about.

12. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I Would also Recommend Photoshop. If you have the money, then you should get it, and it will be worth it.

Man your portfolio is great, did u make them all in GIMP?? or did u use a 3d rendering?

mitcharr, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  13. jajed

jajed Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would you pay for Photoshop if the Gimp does what you need? If you feel the need for something that the Gimp can't do, then by all means look at alternatives, but don't go out and buy something just because everybody else uses it. Disclaimer: I've used both, and can't get anything done in either...

jajed, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  14. SpiritOf1970

SpiritOf1970 Peon

Best Answers:
    Like what?

15. jajed

jajed Peon

Best Answers:
    Like anything. I'm just not cut out for that type of stuff, no matter how great the tools.

jajed, Aug 3, 2007 IP