1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Still room for another Forum Hosting Service?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by SimThePhpCoder, Aug 6, 2014.

I hate to actually post my whole idea here in case theres any developers who like my idea here but here goes. I want to use and re-code the phpBB2.0 core code but keep and secure the templating system of phpBB2.0 so I could release many styles for my forum hosting service.

Are forum hosting service's successful?

SimThePhpCoder, Aug 6, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    You will have to come up with a creative "no money back guarantee" provision in your terms and conditions. Forums are hard to spin out, but there are still many enthusiasts out there who'd give it a try. Of course after about a month they will be demanding their money back since their forums will be as good as dead, so you'd have to have that provision in place.

qwikad.com, Aug 6, 2014 IP
  3. SimThePhpCoder

SimThePhpCoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wouldn't it be better to provide the service free with "paid features"?

SimThePhpCoder, Aug 7, 2014 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Forum Hosting is a business of the late 90's when there wasn't a lot of GOOD forum options and web hosting was more expensive and complicated.

Most users can launch a forum through their web host with a click of a button. And the cost of web hosting in some cases can be as low as $4/mo.

I would strongly advise against it. I don't think you will make money. And even if you do sign up clients you will have to charge dirt cheap and the amount of money generated wouldn't be worth the up keep.

NetStar, Aug 8, 2014 IP
  5. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of forum hosting service? If you're charging per package you could look into opting for a reseller package and then charge offering a special forum hosting service, a good niche as forums can grow.

If you planned to do the more traditional, free forum hosting then depending on your script you can opt for a shared hosting package which costs from $3+ to start, as you grow, expand the hosting you're on. It can be a great source of revenue for you from advertising and paid upgrades.

Good luck!

HostDash, Aug 8, 2014 IP