1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stock Market Simulator Website - A Good Business Idea?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by websiteideas, Mar 4, 2006.

I've seen only a handful of websites that offer a free stock market simulator game. I'm wondering if this might be a good business to get into considering that there is little competetion. Anyone know what the hurdles are? I suppose one major expense is paying for access to the stock quotes, but as for the programming that part doesn't seem to complicated. Any advice to someone who is considering this business venture?

websiteideas, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  2. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Are you considering a game based on EOD (End of day) data or live quotes?

Live quotes are usually much more expesnsive than EOD data.

I guess you are from the US. There are many data vendors in the US and you have a lot of choice.Reuters is a widely used service.

I am not sure in which format, vendors provide data in the US. In India , some of the vendors provide data in xls (MS Excel files) format which can converted into other forms as required. If you can find an affordable vendor that offers data in xls , csv format etc , then the programming part should be very simple.

www.moneybhai.com is a popular stock market stimulator site in India. It's under maintenance right now, but do take a look at it later.

sachin410, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  3. websiteideas

websiteideas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am considering a US stock market simulator game with live or 20 minute delays quotes. Anyone know what the cost is for both live and delayed quotes for the US stock market?

websiteideas, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  4. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're thinking about what I think you are (a text based stock market 'game') then it's been done to death.

Blitz, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  5. websiteideas

Best Answers:
    I only know of a couple websites that do this very well. What do you mean it's been done to death?

websiteideas, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. websiteideas

Best Answers:
    What websites do you know of where there is a good stock market simulator game?

websiteideas, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  7. ScottBannon

ScottBannon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe sierra once ran a real good one (this is years ago and probably was the only one of it's kind at the time) but I haven't seen a truly good one since.

My best friend is a high school Social Studies teacher and always looking for such a site to use as a teaching tool. As it is he has a non-web based game he uses now.

I'm sure there's a market for this if you can develop a good one, but I'm not sure how well it could be monitized if that's your goal.

Googd luck,
    Scott

ScottBannon, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  8. websiteideas

Best Answers:
    As far as monetizing, it looks like there's plent of money to made there with affiliate links to places like Ameritrade, Etrade, etc.

websiteideas, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  9. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=stock+market+game&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

http://www.mpogd.com/search/?key=stock+market&scope=games&results=10

I'm sure there's others, but that's what I found in 30 seconds. Obviously they all vary, from your ones targetted at professionals, to your ones used for education in classes, and then there's the fun ones aimed at all types of people. You mentioned that there was 'only a couple of sites which do this very well', unless you have something new or can do it a lot better, then I don't see why you would bother. So to answer your question, "Stock Market Simulator Website - A Good Business Idea?", I'd have to say no.

Blitz, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  10. websiteideas

Best Answers:
    The only website that I have found that does this well is marketcracy.com. If anyone can create a website like that for under $1000, I'd be interested in talking with them.

websiteideas, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  11. Max321

Max321 Peon

Best Answers:
    The best stock market simulator I found is TradeFields (look it up in google) it's integrated with facebook (no other registration needed) and automatically connects your trades with you frinds.
    Very attractive UI and constant updates. They will also launch an iPhone/Android app to play.

Max321, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  12. cablebox

cablebox Member

Best Answers:
    This business seems very difficult to get into, as it will take much time and effort. But, as some others have said, it will be quite difficult and there has only been a few successful ones, and they are successful because of their already known fame on the internet. I do admire your idea, and I hope if you do take it upon you to make this, ill be sure to play it as it seems to be of great help.

cablebox, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  13. calloptionputoption

calloptionputoption Peon

Best Answers:
    I would just like to introduce myself and offer Share Market and Stock Market services to anyone whom may be in need. Rather than a long introduction, I would like to welcome anyone to visit my web site. Thank You.

we provides Share Market , Indian Stock Market, Share tips, NSE BSE tips, Intraday StockTips, Stock Market Tips , Share Market Tips, Commodity Tips, stock future tips, midcap stock tips, mini nifty future tips, delivery tips, premium stock future tips, investment tips, delivery tips. stock mkt, india market, intraday tips on mobile

if u want to know more about Share market and Stock Market thn u visit my site calloptionputoption.com
    Thanks
    Share market, Stock Market

calloptionputoption, Aug 5, 2010 IP