1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stop Image theft

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by babrees, Jan 13, 2008.

I remember seeing somewhere about how to place an empty image over another image to prevent people right clicking and copying, but I can't remember where or how it is done!

To see it look at http://flickr.com/photos/nas-city/395416066/ and right click the photo, you will see that the image to be saved is spaceball.gif - an empty image.

Anybody know?

babrees, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  2. Lethal7

Lethal7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can stop image theft, i seriously would not bother.

I can simply print screen open PS and have the image.

Best way to do stuff is to watermark it and even that can be overcome.

Lethal7, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  3. Themystical

Themystical Peon

Best Answers:
    You simply put the main image as background in a table or div, in this table or div you place a transparent gif image that fill the table or div area.

By the way this is just one way to do it, you can do the same with some css or placing a flash file over the image, and don't forget javascript.

Themystical, Jan 13, 2008 IP
  4. graphics337

graphics337 Peon

Best Answers:
    With that though, you can still image capture. I watermark everything until its purchased. I run my Logo down the page at about a 45 degree angle 4 or 5 times on the left and then the same on the right so theres no way to crop it out and makes it very difficult to fix it in photoshop. Once my image is purchased, I go in photoshop, turn off the watermark layer, and then the customer has a full resolution, mark free image.

graphics337, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  5. Allyanora

Allyanora Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you guys, there's no way you can stop image theft. only if you put over the original image your nick or something specific of you so others can't use it to sell it or smth. Print screen is the easiest way to copy the image. paste in paint or other photo editors and done....

Allyanora, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  6. james_r

james_r Peon

Best Answers:
    ...or view source and find the exact url to the image, go to url, copy in regular way... There's no good way to stop image theft, and I don't really think it's worth the time or money to try, since someone will always find a way to take it if they want it. Just my opinion!

james_r, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  7. SalahStudios.com

SalahStudios.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    can't stop, won't stop

but you can put a layer with a transparent gif over the image

SalahStudios.com, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  8. Tycoon7

Tycoon7 Member

Best Answers:
    like mentioned it cant be prevented prnt screen can do the trick...also watermarking your image is better but if the image is somethign like a pattern the clone tool can be usedto restore parts of where the watermark overlaps. I would recommend saving in a low quality and watermarking it.

Tycoon7, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  9. byyp

byyp Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is practically no way to stop image theft as everyone else has suggested. People are getting smart everyday and whatever method you use, they can easily bypass that. I have seen this trend on sitepoint , where 14-15 year old designers steal clip art for designing, they are too smart to remove the watermarks that are even all over the image. So, till now, I haven't come across anything, which can actually stop image theft.

byyp, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  10. graphics337

graphics337 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the person creating the art would watermark it to where you couldnt clone out the marking, maybe they wouldnt get art stolen as much. I run my watermarks at a 45 degree angle every 1 inch across the piece, then a second row above that between the gaps. Not saying it cant be cloned and cleaned up, but yeah you got alot of time to spare if you do it.

graphics337, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  11. digitalmatch

digitalmatch Peon

Best Answers:
    Hard to stop. In the future more people might be going to ecourts to fight their property rights.

digitalmatch, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  12. Codylightning

Codylightning Guest

Best Answers:
    Search google for hotlinking ;)

Codylightning, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  13. Adam P

Adam P Peon

Best Answers:
    I always think about using a .htaccess file, as they're easier to do, for example:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?adzp.co.uk [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?portfolio.adzp.co.uk [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?design.adzp.co.uk [NC]
    RewriteRule \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif)$ - [NC,F,L]
    HTML:

Adam P, Jan 24, 2008 IP