1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggest a CMS for bigtime, national journalism project

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by bflora, Jan 26, 2007.

I'm part of a team of journalists working on stories about religion and its impact on US politics for a major journalism school.

While much of what we write we send off to newspapers to publish, we're interested in putting up our own website to host some of our work.

We're trying to decide whether to hire someone to build something for us or to simply grab something off the shelf.

I thought perhaps the DP crowd could offer some advice.

Major needs:
    -Ability to organize/upload text articles as well as video and images.
    -Ability to lay out a text article with captioned images and sidebars
    -Customizeable template that can incorporate flash

The absolute basic setup I'd like to have would be a front page with a logo banner and 5 to 6 150px thumbnails underneath with headlines and text blurbs for each of them. When you click on one of these thumbnails or the headline, you'd be taken to a videostream or into a text article.

I know I just described a lot of different blogging platforms....however the one s I'm most familiar with, Wordpress and Joomla, don't really handle video so well as far as I know.

While a blog CMS could be fashined into what we want, I'm wondering if there isn't something out there that would better for this. We're not looking to update it regularly like a blog. This would be a static array of content on a front page. We just need a system to upload, organize and manage it.

Suggestions?

bflora, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  2. vvoole

vvoole Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Drupal with addons is becoming solution for you. Just see www.theonion.com for example. This site based on Drupal.

vvoole, Jan 30, 2007 IP
  3. sly24

sly24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agree.. drupal is one that a lot of big journalism sites use!!
    i love it

sly24, Jan 31, 2007 IP