1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Surge in traffic about 2 weeks ago, any idea why?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by aab1, Oct 31, 2014.

My sales just hit new records for one of my businesses and I noticed a surge in traffic starting about two weeks ago that has sustained itself since. It's good traffic too as my conversion is 4.15% which it what i often is but with the increased traffic I'm getting more sales.
    Any idea why this traffic surge happened about two weeks ago? Did Google change anything?
    Thanks

aab1, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  2. xcesslogic

xcesslogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    This surge happened on your website? If you use google webmasters / analytics you can check why this happened.

xcesslogic, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Could be related to their last penguin update (3.0). Not sure though.

qwikad.com, Nov 1, 2014 IP
  4. aab1

aab1 Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I searched for Google updates and saw Penguin 3.0 was released on October 17 which is the exact date my traffic surged. Does this mean my traffic will remain at this higher level from now on? Could another Google update cause it to fall back down?

Thanks

aab1, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Of course. It can fall back down just because too. Supposedly, if you keep a site free of spam / duplicate content / long tail keywords and overall play by the rules, Google may promote that site in its SERP.

Just enjoy what you've got. Nobody can guarantee whether it will last or not. I truly hope it will last for you.

qwikad.com, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  6. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It only means that Google likes what you're doing for now :) So enjoy while it lasts! I think it'll be good to check your analytics to ensure that it is really because of the update.

Ethan Alvin, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  7. xcesslogic

xcesslogic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also you need to check properly if the surge is from Google organic results or just some new bots / robots crawling your site. It happened to us earlier that a bot named semalt inflated our hits a lot and we were mistakenly thinking it to be normal organic boost

xcesslogic, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  8. web3k

web3k Member

Best Answers:
    Many of our and our customer websites saw the same thing a few weeks ago, we also suspect it was highly penguin 3.0 related giving the time of the increase versus when it was said to be released.

As others have said, check WMT and Analytics to see where the traffic is coming from. If your sales also grew, I'd be putting money on it had something to do with organic search / penguin if you didn't invest in any extra advertising during that time.

web3k, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  9. annaharris

annaharris Active Member

Best Answers:
    You might be having a Google Analytics and Google Webmasters account which provides all the relevant information related to your incoming traffic, so you can check why there was a surge in your traffic.

annaharris, Nov 4, 2014 IP