1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Surpassing established websites in same niche

Discussion in 'General Business' started by toybreastcom, Aug 27, 2013.

Hey members of Digital Point,

I'd like to bring up a topic for discussion I've had on my mind for a few days now. Assuming that everyone's goal on this forum is pretty much to make money online, it's safe to say one of the most well-known, bread and butter methods is to create a website. Creation of a website offers many methods of monetizing said website, such as selling advertisement space, backlinks, products (possibly affiliate), and you can even sell the website if you wish.

Here's where my problem comes in. By 2013, most of the niches that people online search for and are interested in are already saturated with various websites. I might have the wrong mentality, but I feel like it's way too difficult to start a site, trying to compete with the established sites that are already #1 on Google's searches and have thousands of followers.

I'm able to write content, so if I were to create a blog it probably would satisfy Google's idea that "content is king". However, I'm really skeptical of how much traffic it would get if there are already tens of blogs that are consuming most of the viewers, with better content (As these huge websites have the money for better website graphics, and video content).

I've thought of my own business ideas as well- such as creating a website that would review several different products, with links to various affiliate (Mostly amazon) programs. However to my dismay, there are already lots of websites exactly like this, except with hundreds of products already listed and a website template that looks amazing (I could never do that).

TL;DR: I want to start a website to make money online, but I'm skeptical since there are already other established sites that I can't beat.

• Is my mentality flawed?
    • Should I go through with making websites anyways, even if there is competition?
    • What other methods of earning money could I pursue with my skills?

Please PM me if you have any advice you could give me.

toybreastcom, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  2. Sycrid

Sycrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honest to god truth, I've never found it easy to make money online. It took me 4 years to get my first google cheque worth only £40. What I will say though, is I spent 3 years of that time building websites to try and make money. This made me nothing. I then decided to develop something I had a passion for, and use the skills/knowledge I have. This attracted more visitors and was a more indepth development than any of the ones I had before. (I can't design for sh*t, but I managed to attract a lot of people).

If you have a passion and are determined you'll succeed. If you just set out for money, then you need something special I feel.

Hope that helps.

Sycrid, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  3. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to your question, surpassing established websites is all about competition, if there is too much competition then it would take time to optimize your website in that niche. So it would be good if you research some low competitive keywords and go accordingly.

SERPpoint, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  4. thefandango

thefandango Active Member

Best Answers:
    "By 2013, most of the niches that people online search for and are interested in are already saturated with various websites"

There's your problem right there :)

They are only saturated in search, and even then only at the top of the food chain. Build a multi-channel audience and you won't have to worry about saturation as much. Build relationships, build reputation, then worry about the SERP's and domination.

Also, good keyword research, content and linkbuilding will always trump half the sites out there.

thefandango, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  5. Holyhero

Holyhero Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are saturated, but most of the sites are not good, so there is still room for you

It wouldn't be easy since you have to outrank those spam content, but if that is what you want to do, then there is no problem

Holyhero, Aug 29, 2013 IP