1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Survey Websites - Scam or Real?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by uniqueasitis, Jul 24, 2007.

There seems to be a lot of misconception among novice entrepreneurs about paid survey websites. Many write them off as scams.

Survey Scam or Not

The fact is that they are not scams. Well, you may find websites which use the concept to rip you off, but as a general rule getting paid for surveys is not a scam. Companies actually pay you for filling out surveys.

How? Why?

Companies are constantly looking to improve their products. The better the product, the more sales. More sales means more money. Hence, companies usually enclose a survey in products which consumers purchase (or they used to at least). Consumers throw away the questionnaire and enjoy the product (can you blame them!)

The survey means a lot to the company because it provides them with user input which is imperative to improving the product. Since the consumer did not answer the survey, they now offer people money to fill out the survey.

The Catch

To be able to participate in these surveys you have to be living in the United States, UK, or Canada because companies willing to pay for surveys are US, UK, and Canadian companies who want information from local residents.

There are a small number of global survey companies which pay people around the world for filling out surveys but these are few and the number of surveys a person gets to fill out is so small that no substantial income can be made.

How Much?

By subscribing to a number of pay for survey companies you can make anywhere between $500 - $1000, but again you need to be in one the above mentioned countries. If you are, you should take advantage of this because it provides you with an extra bit of cash.

Hope this helps people who wonder whether these surveys are scams or for real. Good luck!

uniqueasitis, Jul 24, 2007 IP
  2. MLuirette

MLuirette Peon

Best Answers:
    Real -> they pay you.
    Scam -> you pay to subscribe to something.

If the process of paying someone to fill out surveys benefits the company offering to pay, they should make money from the activity they are buying labor for. If the business model requires a subscription fee, it's a scam. The only place making money is the service.

MLuirette, Aug 21, 2007 IP
  3. slapmatt

slapmatt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have subscribed to YouGov and although I very much doubt you'll earn a living, you can certainly make pocket money, especially if you refer your mates.

My referral link

slapmatt, Aug 22, 2007 IP
  4. test48

test48 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid that I have personal experience proving that YouGov is a scam, and I'm happy to give details:

I have supposedly been a "CNN Panel member" (run by YouGov) for over a year. On August 15, 2007, I got an email from CNNPanel@yougov.com saying that "you will receive a one-off reward for
    completing the survey rather than credits on your CNN Panel Account.... You will be asked to choose your reward at the end of the survey..." I did the survey, chose the "$10 voucher to spend at Amazon.com", and got a final screen confirming that I would get it. When I received no voucher by email (the way Amazon.com vouchers are normally handled) and my YouGov account screen showed no credit, I sent an email to their contact point at CNNPanel@yougov.com . When I got no response, I eventually sent emails to various executives at YouGov, as follows:

paul.stevens@yougov.com
    peter.kellner@yougov.com
    kate.davies@yougov.com

My CNN Panel account screen now reads "Amount Credited [15 August 2007] Prize Draw Entry". The original email and the completion screen did not say that the reward was a "Prize Draw Entry", but one of a number of guaranteed prizes with obvious cash value, including the "$10 voucher to spend at Amazon.com".

I am afraid that this is fraud, and YouGov is simply exploiting the small sums involved and the well publicized refusal of the UK authorities to act on Internet fraud.

Thanks for reading.

test48, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  5. Raisin

Raisin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Surveys are a waste of time. There are many other things you can spend your time doing which will give you a much better pay out.

Raisin, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  6. test48

test48 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yougov/CNN's latest scam. A copy of my latest email to them (sent today) says it all.

Good morning!

I have participated in several surveys in the past, and have several
    hundred points. The CNN Panel site now says that I have participated
    in no surveys. Could you please fix this and tell me how many points
    I do have?

On July 12 I sent emails on this matter to and , but of course got no response.

Thanks.
    *****. (CNN Panel username: *****)

test48, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  7. betacom

betacom Peon

Best Answers:
    its depend with the Admin of the website, the idea is real, I mean that survey company really pay the website owner, but some of site owner (admin) or not manage it well. I believe this one did real pay, the idea are the same, do a free survey and redeem your rewards.

One of the survey site I believe it works is www.freegiftcard4all.com, they offer two option, either for amazon cert voucher or visa gift card

betacom, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  8. betacom

betacom Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys, please don't spam

betacom, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  9. peterzeller

peterzeller Peon

Best Answers:
    On a three years old dead thread... Seriously...:confused:

peterzeller, Jul 25, 2010 IP