1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

switching CMSs

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by TonyW, Jan 8, 2007.

After recent problems with Joomla I may be in the market to switch CMSs. I have singled out Drupal. I have some pages listed in Google and Yahoo and am wondering what effect switching would have. Im already loosing positions in Google because of my recent problems and I really don't want this to happen again. Im just wondering if switching will have any major negative effects on my rankings. It can get way worse but I really don't want it to get any worse.

Thanks

TonyW, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  2. netorius

netorius Guest

Best Answers:
    What kind of problems you having with joomla. I'm guessing from the wording of your post that it has to do with urls?

I'm fairly certain, that solving your joomla problem will be less problematic than switching, expecially if you wish to keep your rankings and urls in google.

netorius, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  3. TonyW

TonyW Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a small problem with the 1.0.12 update. I did it thru fantastico which I will never do again. I am running Open-SEF and the update used a default config file which was the first problem. Then Open-sef changed the URLs to my pages which was the 2nd problem. I've begun changing them back but my ranking slipped a bunch and its just frustrating. Now Joomlastats is showing that Google is hitting pages but the title for them is blank... I have yet to understand that one. Yahoo still isn't hitting any pages.

Everything was going perfect and I wasn't having any problems with J!. The little problems I ran into were easily solved. It seems that it would be almost easier to goto drupal than fix the mess I have now(or what seems like a mess). But on the other hand it also might cause a bigger mess. My rankings are bouncing back a little. I hope they keep the upward trend. Its just aggravating I guess.

TonyW, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  4. netorius

netorius Guest

Best Answers:
    sounds like you just lost some configs.. I know that can be really frustrating..
    Been there several times,, and yet i still dont' backup like i should :eek:

I like 1.0.12 alot better than 1.0.11 plus with the sef core patch from joomla even nicer.. i have one site running on 1.5, WOW!!!!!....

Personally (though it's not me that has to mess with a bunch of settings and url fixing) i'd stick with joomla..

just get your opensef settings back to normal.. get your joomla settings back. can be a pain,, but MOVING content can be way worse. and you'd still have to fix all your urls and all the site setup..
    have you been to the opensef forum? or joomla.org forum?

Best of luck.

netorius, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  5. TonyW

TonyW Peon

Best Answers:
    I made someone at G happy today. My rankings jumped from 70s to 40s today. I got a sitemap up and I think my URLs are back to normal. Hopefully things will keep getting better. Im only averaging 1 hit a day but everyone has to start somewhere i guess. Thanks for the advice. I have to start backing up my stuff. I've also started testing 1.5 for a future upgrade.

EDIT: Ah I think I know why my rankings jumped. After the upgrade google indexed my front page title as "Welcome to the front page" now its back to the title of the site which has one of my key words in it.

TonyW, Jan 9, 2007 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can use 301 redirect for your old pages to the new ones . it will not effect on your google serp , if you did not loose your backlinks

trichnosis, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  7. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Depending on how old your site is and how deep Google has got into indexing it, I'd rather consider fixing the config problems than moving to another CMS. A new learning curve, and new bugs to face after conversion are just a few things to consider for starters.

Clive, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  8. TonyW

TonyW Peon

Best Answers:
    I think my site is fixed for the most part. Maybe a couple little things here and there but nothing like what had happened.

TonyW, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  9. xeit

xeit Peon

Best Answers:
    check out pligg.com its very nice

xeit, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  10. netorius

netorius Guest

Best Answers:
    Tony, I'm glad to hear that things are getting back to normal.

netorius, Jan 13, 2007 IP