1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Best CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by kingofbigmac, Jun 15, 2007.

I am looking for a good CMS, no a great CMS. I am about to make a xbox 360 site. A lot better than the one I have now :eek: Yes I know. I know there is Joomla and that is kinda hard for me to use. Please tell me your suggestions thank you.

kingofbigmac, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  2. cabron

cabron Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of good cms out there, you just have to find one that is best for you. And joomla and mambo are very good here, you just need to find a good template.

cabron, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  3. creativedingo

creativedingo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress in king if it works for your site, but drupal very flexible.

creativedingo, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  4. EJRaven

EJRaven Active Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal is really bad for beginners, Wordpress is a great starting point and a great CMS for power users as well.

EJRaven, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  5. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think you must try wordpress. it's easy and great solution for small sites

trichnosis, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  6. 501

501 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try and check out my signature link. Contact me if you are interested.

501, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  7. ala101

ala101 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla or Wordpress will be a good choice for u.

ala101, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  8. rlineker

rlineker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SubDreamer if you are looking for professional and good quality.

rlineker, Jun 16, 2007 IP
  9. catanha

catanha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i suggest joomla.

catanha, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  10. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    xhtml & css with php includes works well (plus its flexible, doesn't screw up, and is secure and doesn't have bugs in it like most CMS)

rochow, Jun 17, 2007 IP
  11. getanapple

getanapple Peon

Best Answers:
    joomla looks good to start but then as you go along it suddenly gets really a mess (like after a day or two). It lacks things like "ping" and you have to hack the code (only a few lines) to get it to run.

On the other extreme is Drupal looks very hard at the start but once you get used to the modules and the way the support site is set up doing most things is easy.

make a list of the features you want in your site and use that to guide you on the CMS to use, you know your visitors and what is critical for them and what is extras. Make sure you get all the critical items included in the option you choose.

getanapple, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  12. buxr

buxr Peon

Best Answers:
    I've yet to find anything easier and more flexible than Wordpress. With the current quantity of plugins, you can really do anything.

buxr, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  13. parkaboy

parkaboy Peon

Best Answers:
    How many of the people on this forum are using WP?

I've always wondered about the SEO implication of WP, ever since Google started controlling the number of blogs that could appear in top rankings a few years ago, and also there's the fact that sooo many splogs use WP.

Are people confident there's no Google penalty for using WP for a content-based site?

parkaboy, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  14. inkslinger

inkslinger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is good if you are aiming for a community site. It's hard to maintain if you merely want to have a content driven site.

For news and articles site, try your hand on snews. It's small, it's compact and easy to use. With friendly urls too (unlike with joomla that you still need to do some hacking to remove the question marks, equal sign and numbers in a php url).

inkslinger, Jun 18, 2007 IP
  15. affiliategirl

affiliategirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried Joomla and other cms's out there, but
    xoops seems to be the friendliest for beginners. it's got good documentation and community support or if you want tips, go to www.xoops-tips.com. see it for yourself, guys. if you like it, remember you heard it first from me. lol. :p if not, at least you know it exists. :)

affiliategirl, Jun 19, 2007 IP
    getanapple likes this.
  16. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I would agree. Wordpress is the place to start. If this is too complicated (managing a hosted site takes time, energy, and knowledge), then I would recommend going to the hosted version of Wordpress at wordpress dot com.

Rich

richrf, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  17. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand why people say this.
    I started with Drupal and I have been able to accomplish whatever I wanted rather quick.
    The user interface is clean and everything is in one place.

Recently I built a new site with Joomla (It was a matter of getting something up within a few hours with a decent looking theme and thats where I always struggled a bit on Drupal, and it had to have easy phpBB hooks).
    Ever since I have deeply regretted that choice. Somehow Joomla still confuses me, after so many hours playing with it.
    Things are hidden in the most funny locations (I never know what is a mambot, a component or whatever they call these things).
    Just getting search engine friendly urls (via a plugin) working was a nightmare.
    When I compare that to the ease of setting up SEF urls via pathauto in Drupal I keep wondering why so many people use Joomla.

Even my forum on the Drupal site runs Search Engine Friendly urls via pathauto (site.com/category/subcategory/subject-of-post.html). Haven't been able to replicate that on any other free forum software.

I never used Wordpress, so it might really be easier to use then Drupal. Use it if it makes you happy.
    Consider Drupal to be a complete package though. Although the forum gets criticized a lot, its a really outstanding integration.

Maybe being a Drupal person really skewed my view of how a CMS should work, I don't know.
    Even the installation of Drupal is easier for me then Joomla (copy the files to the server and you are almost done).

Remember: Even if Drupal might seem a bit more complicated to start with (never did for me), you have all the bells and whistles and the full flexibility so you will probably never have to change CMS again.

BTW, the photo site in my sig is powerd by Drupal, but its not my best work (just a personal site) and not the one with the forum either.

I don't believe this. There are far too many high quality sites using WP. Even Google's own Cutts uses it. Might want to change that default Kubrik style though :)

andre75, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  18. figarro

figarro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no best CMS. It all depends on what your needs are.

figarro, Jun 21, 2007 IP