1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Future of Graphic Design

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by 8everything, Mar 23, 2009.

What would you think the future of graphic design will be?

For me, I would assume that the industry is going to steer away from print graphic designs and onto the web... which means further emphasizing education on making graphics look more appealing through various monitors (rather than dealing with the tedious process of print color checking).

What are your thoughts?

8everything, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Print cannot, and will not ever die. There's what I will call, the 'burden of media' that is shifting from print to web now, but it willl move from web to something else within our lifetime again too.

Whatever the most current technology is carries a whole ton of media, when nwe technology arrives, that media changes to the better technology - but there will always be examples of all forms of technology all the time, Right now, because web bears the burden of media, there is more web stuff than there ought to be.

You're looking at Graphic design like as a finished product like a cake or some bread, but I see it as a set of skills with which either a cake, some bread, or something we haven't even thought of yet can be baked. Typography, layout, colour theory, illustration, drawing, photography, communication - these are the skills of design that run through every form of media, and a skilled designer can make a design for any form of media because the principles of design are the same.

I personally focus on typography, and I'm seeing a huge rise in something called 'infographics' which are ways to present information through pictures instead of words - something that helps communicate to kids, across language barriers, and at a faster rate than words can.

What I see happening in the future, hand-held devices will become more and more popular, your iPhones, netbooks - eventually everybody will have a device in their hand that has the power of our desktop computers now. Think of how they used Trichorders in Star Trek, or those handheld things in Stargate Atlantis. Maybe something inbetween the Kindle and the iPhone will be the right size.

Anyway, there will be traditional websites, but more importantly there will be entire new technologies and ways to communicate on those devices that we don't have now. Think of flash for example which was only invented about a decade ago! Look at where it is now.

What I believe, is that the future holds more promise for designers than today....

innovati, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  3. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you when it comes to the traditional graphic design theories that we've learnt. These will never change and are always applied to whatever media we need to work with.

Not to steer off topic too but this also applies to the traditions of art and drawing and rendering by hand. This also never changes, even though programs such as Photoshop exsist, they are always in flux whereas drawing has been around for centuries.

As for design and how we'll apply them to the latest technology will definitely be interesting to see.

8everything, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  4. usadesi

usadesi Peon

Best Answers:
    yes,there is bright future for Graphic Design..

usadesi, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  5. rysdesigns

rysdesigns Banned

Best Answers:
    To be fair i think that design is a personal thing and everyone aproaches it differently.

The genre will not change completely as everyone has there own point of creativity and there own personal ways of doing things and methods/programs they prefere to use...

I think the only thing that will change is other persons perspectives on design and the programs we use...

rysdesigns, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  6. Designservice

Designservice Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with innovati. Print cannot die.

Designservice, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  7. cocodboss

cocodboss Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree...print cannot die theres a lot of opportunity thought....for name card, pamflet or other things like books..surely cannot die

cocodboss, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  8. jiwapeniaga

jiwapeniaga Peon

Best Answers:
    advertising is related to design
    design is related to advertising
    go design!!!

jiwapeniaga, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  9. uptrans

uptrans Member

Best Answers:
    graphic and web design will become more and more minimalist.

uptrans, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  10. Shawn Ross

Shawn Ross Peon

Best Answers:
    I see on the horizon a world where all the wannabes that have gotten mommy or daddy to buy a wacom and steal the adobe suite will be phased out... Mmm maybe I am just a jerk.

I do agree that print will never die though. I mean in a world that is real you have to have things that cannot only be displayed on a monitor. That would just be tedious.

Shawn Ross, Mar 25, 2009 IP