1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The next google?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by whitedovecleaning, Apr 29, 2005.

Got some penny stock in your portfolio?
    What’s you pick for the next google.
    Or is there one?

whitedovecleaning, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  2. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unless Google spectacularly messes up I can't see them being challenged. People don't just search for things, they now 'google' them. They may well lose market share if the others get their act together, but I can see them being #1 for a very long time to come.

MattUK, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  3. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    MattUK: people said the same about other SE's until G came along.
    The draw back now is that to develop a new SE is going to take a considerable amount of cash.
    There are some companies around with the capital to try it, but I can't see anyone making a successful business case for it.
    I could be an interesting case study for some kind of grid. That would lower a major amount of the expense - actually having enough systems around to crawl the entire net, and analyse the results. I'm not exactly up on how grids work, but I'd say it's a feasable way of building the actual databases.

jlawrence, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    There are several interesting patents being filed some of which could build a much better Google but the question is how much financial backing they have to pull it off.

Blogmaster, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  5. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    True, But Google pretty much has the best formula for the results. What you think can be added to make it better?

City2, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  6. nullbit

nullbit Peon

Best Answers:
    A decentralised peer-to-peer powered search engine would be interesting, this could be implemented at a very low cost, so long as you can accumulate enough users (read: resources) needed.

nullbit, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  7. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding? Have you seen the market capitalization lately? Somewhere around 64 Billion.

larysmith711, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  8. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    ST, exactly. To build a brand new challenger to G would take a massive amount of capital.
    MS have the capital (possibly Yahoo) and both have the infra in place. It remains to be seen whether either will ever become a viable G alternative.
    I don't think a true P2P SE would work. Imagine having a chunk of your results disappear just because someone switched of their systems. The grid could be used for distributed crawling/analysis though.
    For example:
    Main systems keep a database of urls to crawl.
    user system gets requests a block of urls, crawls that url and then analyses the results.
    The results of this analysis are then sent to another master system which incoporates the into the search databases.

That I think would work. Whether it's cost effective is another matter

jlawrence, Apr 29, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  9. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Distributed computing... like the SETI project. I could see that lowering the need alot for hardware and bandwidth. IF you could get enough PC's opting in, it could be possible to have the freshest results.

That would be an edge.

NetMidWest, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  10. MattL

MattL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the near future there won't be only one SE as dominant as Google. MSN and Yahoo will gain some ground and even things out a bit.

MattL, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  11. aspcoder

aspcoder Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft has windows with default MSN search engine. Most people who are not using computer a lot will use MSN as search engine. MSN will gain some ground. Though currently yet it looks unstable

aspcoder, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  12. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Like others have said, I have a feeling that Yahoo and MSN will probably gain on Google a bit (personally I've started using Yahoo for searches), but I feel it's unlikely that a newcomer is going to take Googles crown. I've read a few articles in newspapers that trumpet blinkx as the next big thing - but IMHO I can't see it becoming an industry giant.

norfstar, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  13. whitedovecleaning

whitedovecleaning Peon

Best Answers:
    You can nevr tell what will be the giant in the future. Take standard oil. that was the gold crown of oil companies at the turn of the century. I too see msn and yahoo starting to chip at the google kingdom! maybe we will see a new word emerge out of this

yahoogagooglian! Do you Yahogoogle?

whitedovecleaning, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  14. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    That distributed crawling idea is pretty good. I think it'd work really well.

You'd still need a powerhouse of a datacenter to serve the queries though...

davedx, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If you guys want Google to survive in the search business then you better start supporting "open source Linux" & MAC OS because when M$ comes out with browserless search Google could be in real trouble if 90% of computer users keep using Windows OS.

The search engine wars are now the OSwars guys.

Google knows this and that is why they support Firefox and have created Google desktop and hard drive search and other web applications like Gmail and purchased Blogger.

Now get on with it and get involved with linux.

www.mepis.com is a great start.

http://www.mepis.org/node/5188

www.linux.com

http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anthonycea, May 1, 2005 IP
  16. greatone

greatone Peon

Best Answers:
    what would be those SE? hhhhmmm

greatone, May 12, 2005 IP
  17. greatone

greatone Peon

Best Answers:
    opss.. sorry wrong topic guys.. my connection seems having a problem.
    by the do you a site which will guide me using linux?

greatone, May 12, 2005 IP
  18. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    When it offers something even close to what I get with windows and all of the applications that run under windows, as much as I hate windows (esp. xp) it's what I'll be using.

mopacfan, May 12, 2005 IP
  19. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    What about an "open source" search engine? If Linux can challenge Windows and Firefox can win over millions from IE, why not do the same for search? The advantage from the user's point of view is that they would know exactly how this search engine determined the relevancy of their results. With all the talk now about bias in search results, I think many people would be very interested in this kind of information. Put that together with distributed computing, and I think you have a very interesting idea.

stephenmunday, May 12, 2005 IP
  20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You are already missing the boat, Mepis is now coming out with a version for business.

www.mepis.com

anthonycea, May 13, 2005 IP