1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking of setting up a SN and need some advice

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by flashculture, Dec 17, 2008.

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking of setting up a SN for the last few years and I'm finally getting to the stage where I can get into it properly. I'm looking for an off the shelf option, and to hire someone to basically modify it to how I want it. So some questions.

1. So far these are looking good to me, Elgg, Joomla and socialEngine. What's the strengths and weaknesses of each?
    2. I've just had a look at jomsocial for Joomla, it's looking good, anyone had any experience of using that?
    3. I want to be able to get the design how I want it, how difficult or hard will it be to do that with the above 3 options?
    4. Adding adsense to the pages of the SN is important, which gives the greater flexability ?
    5. What would the costs involved be of the general setup, plus specific to each ?
    6. Where would I find someone to hire to do this?

thanks for any advice.

flashculture, Dec 17, 2008 IP
  2. GreenDog

GreenDog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I couldnt get Elgg to install properly. Then I download and installed dolphin, it was too buggy and slow. I didn't want to shell out all the money for social engine.

I did download and buy Jomsocial. Trying to figure out how to get it to work right now. (Hence the reason I searching these forums)

Good luck to you.

GreenDog, Jan 4, 2009 IP
  3. CommonDavid

CommonDavid Peon

Best Answers:
    What kind of budget/how much time do you have for this project? Are you looking to create a small SN with blogs, forums and PM's or are you looking for more applications/features? A good social network will take you a lot of time to create (like 1000 hours) depending on how advanced you are at programming. Dolphin/Boonex is alright out of box and very inexpensive, but it's slow and you'll be opening a can of worms with that if you are trying to customize it as well. We have a basic social network package in Drupal that is out of box ready, but even for that you'll need a substantial budget. I'd say go with Drupal as Joomla is not secure, but if you've never used it there's definitely a learning curve.

CommonDavid, Jan 5, 2009 IP
  4. thefandango

thefandango Active Member

Best Answers:
    surely you would go with phpfox if you are going to get it developed - they are a professional open code solution and I highly recommend them and their forum.

thefandango, Jan 5, 2009 IP