1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Too many blogs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by paymentapprovaltooslow, May 3, 2005.

It seems like everyone has a blog these days. Does anyone get paid running a blog? Im thinking of building one, but unless I can monetise it in some way, im not going to bother. Anyone here making good money from thier blog?

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 3, 2005 IP
  2. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt many people make alot from their blog, but it does have alot of other uses/ benefits

Design Agent, May 3, 2005 IP
  3. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    Thats cool agent, but im a college student, and while I make good money with a paid survey site, I am looking for another revenue stream that doesn't require too much time and effort so to speak. I wouldn't want to spend a couple hours writing a blog not to get any money or visitors for my efforts. My schedule is already cramped as it is...

4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If you can get a million hits a day you could make some money, but I don't think anyone is getting that kind of traffic to a blog :eek:

anthonycea, May 3, 2005 IP
  5. paymentapprovaltooslow

Best Answers:
    Yes a million would be awesome for any blogger, but realistically speaking, how much do some of you bloggers here make?

6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I was just kidding, but I would bet there are some superstar blogs out there that get 150,000 + hits a day.

Maybe Julia Roberts or Shakira if they had one, I think Shakira could get a million hits a day easy :eek:

anthonycea, May 3, 2005 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think of it as "suplimental." Just another tool to help drive traffic in one direction or the other. So, yes, I am making money, though somewhat indirectly.

I used to think blogs were nothing more than ego massage sites for people to bitch about things, like anyone really cares, or actually reads their blog. But there are just as many people out there reading them, as there are writting them. They do serve some type of purpose.

Mia, May 3, 2005 IP
  8. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Think as blogging tools as a simple means of building your site.

All the same things apply to blogs as can be applied to most websites out there.

A blog can get a million hits a day if it performs well in search engines and you target enough phrases with it.

Think of a blog as a CMS built website...

Without the right content, design, advertising/affiliate - your site (Or any site for that matter) won't make money.

Blogs, just like any other website take a lot of work to srart generating revenue...

They are excellent PR (Not the google meaning) tools though. :)

SEbasic, May 4, 2005 IP
  9. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Blogs have a lot of inherent tools that help to promote themselves. I'd say it was worth the time to do it, but don't expect to become a millionairre overnight. It should take at least four or five days for that to happen.

nevetS, May 4, 2005 IP
  10. paymentapprovaltooslow

Best Answers:
    Who wants to be a blogger millionaire..lol

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 4, 2005 IP
  11. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I hear of people making a lot from adsense on blogs. You have to have the right topic and good rankings and hopefully good click though rates. I don't make much off blogging but I try to. ;)

TwisterMc, May 4, 2005 IP
  12. tradefor

tradefor Peon

Best Answers:
    There is another use for Blogs which I, as a definitely clue-challenged newbie, found useful; and that I only learned of on these forums.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=7359

This thread is about the use of Blogs as a techique to stimulate Spidering.
    Basically the main idea is to set up a blog that relates to one's site, have its output syndicated through an attached RSS feed, add the RSS feed to a My Yahoo! page, use Ping-o-Matic to generate pings for the RSS feed, and hope that the rss feed gets spidered. After a bit of a struggle (because I am not tech-savvy :eek: ), I was able to put the ducks in a row.

My experience of this use of blogs is limited, because I have only just done it. But the process does seem to have a slightly beneficial effect on traffic already. Traffic for me was very scarce indeed because the site being new and "sandboxed", I have no backlinks to speak of, no budget for aggressive advertising, and the website's content relates to competitive keywords.

I am trying to keep the posts to the blog relevant to my topic but not just to my site. It does take time and effort to post up articles from industry authority sites, and comment on them, so for me the problem with blogging is more a time management issue, than a desire to monetize the blog itself.

Of course, it would also be nice to get some "natural" participation and feedback on the main website through the blog. I think that is more likely through a Blog than an email list because I think people are very reluctant to opt-in to email lists these days.

tradefor, May 4, 2005 IP
  13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    There are too many Blogs and not enough Indians around this town :eek:

Shawn alone has about a dozen or so Blogs :p :eek: :p

anthonycea, May 4, 2005 IP
  14. paymentapprovaltooslow

Best Answers:
    POlitical blogs seem to be the rage. What I dislike about political blogs is that they are so extreme on both sides. The left wing blogs have those annoying bush/chip comparisons circa 2000 and so on.

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 4, 2005 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Hell David, you have an interesting life, why not blog about yourself and the stuff you are learning in college :confused:

Myself, I could start a Led Zeppelin/Jimi Hendrix Blog and write about how I enjoy listening to live rock music while drinking Whiskey, ah what the hell David, just read my posts on Digital Point and I will not have to create that blog :p :p :D

16. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    I think (..which in itself is dangerous..)that if we had to read more of your ramblings about Led Zep, Robert Plant, Elvis or Jimi, we'd all type ourselves to death, mate.

MELLA, May 4, 2005 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Mella what are you doing posting a photo of my girlfriend :confused:

You love Elvis/Led Zeppelin/Jimi Hendrix or you don't know music Mella :eek: :cool:

18. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    some of the free blogs are great, others just cut and paste of garbage

Blogmaster, May 4, 2005 IP
  19. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    Your girlfriend? That photo is of the girl you HATEHATEHATE babe.

I do like them. But everytime you start on repeat mode, I try to switch off. I must be like a cat and have many lives, the amount of time i've died of boredom reading an AC post about those musicians.

:D :) ;) :p

MELLA, May 4, 2005 IP
  20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    TOOT should start a blog on how much he likes to Moonwalk to Wacko and dance and sing along with the BEEGEE's :p :p :p :p