1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tracking changes

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by GPS Mapper, Jun 4, 2006.

Hi-

I'm starting to make changes in templates in multiple platforms (TypePad and WP). I don't have a background in this sort of thing, but I'm learning, and so far, so good.

I'm wanting to make backups of templates, and also have a version where I've highlighted any changes that I've made. NotePad doesn't let you highlight individual lines (AFAIK) or bold them, etc. What's the best way to do this? Is there another text editor you would suggest for tracking changes?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

GPS Mapper, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The proper way to track versions/changes is with a concurrent versioning system (cvs). CVS is free and is available for Linux in RPM and Deb packages for source or binary. For Windows, since it's not likely to have very good tools, get the info on pre-compiled binaries, also free.

CVS tracks all changes made to a document, and can rebuild that document as it was at any stage. You can, for example, have it spit out the doc as it was last Friday at 8AM and then again as it was at 5PM, or at 2:30PM, or … .

Using the Emacs text editor, you can run your CVS from within the editor. Emacs is also free and runs on just about every platform that's ever been :). Don't know about other editors. No other editor, with the possible exception of Vi(m), approaches the power and versatility of Emacs.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  3. GPS Mapper

GPS Mapper Peon

Best Answers:
    Wha? :confused:

Seriously, that may be a bit beyond my level at this point. I'm learning pretty fast though. Heck, I even got horizontal AdSense banners under the header on two different blog platforms yesterday. :D

Just in case I do give it a try...It sounds like the CVS is an add-on to Emacs. Yes? I'm afraid it wouldn't be intuitive enough for me though. Anyone have any other suggestions?

GPS Mapper, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  4. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    CVS is a stand alone client/server application. You simply run it from your DOS cli on Win, or your favorite shell on Linux or OS X. What it boils down to is a repository on the server which holds your documents. The client checks out a document, much like you might check a book out at the library. You are free to edit this check-out copy. When you are done for the session, check it back in. The CVS server computes all the changes and stores them. It is the diffs (as they are known) that allow for rebuilding the document at any stage of its life. A huge benefit of CVS lies in its control of multiple users editing the same document, as it has a method for resolving conflicts.

The client and the server may reside on the same machine, say your desktop, if multiple users are not an issue, or you're running Windows. On Windows, CVS can only act as a local repository.

I mentioned Emacs's ability to run CVS from within the editor as it is a major time/work saver. There is no need to ever leave the editor. That is more a function of Emacs's power than anything else. My experience with editors goes back almost thirty years, to Electric Pencil on a TRS-80, through the early 286 PCs to now. There is no other text editor to compare with Emacs.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  5. GPS Mapper

GPS Mapper Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Gary. I may give it a try, but it will have to wait till next weekend. Pesky day job...

GPS Mapper, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What a PITA, we must put life on hold while making a living. :)

cheers, and have fun,

gary

kk5st, Jun 5, 2006 IP