1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transferring ownership of a site

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Drak3y, Nov 19, 2017.

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this but hey ho.

Myself and a few like-minded individuals pooled our resources for our own website. This is a joint-venture but everything is in my name (domain, shared hosting plan, forum license). The other gents involved aren't particularly tech-savvy, so I have been in charge of developing and maintaining the site.

I'm at the stage where I no longer have the time and money to invest into the project and would like to explore the idea of transferring ownership of everything to one of the partners. What's the easiest, most pain-free way of going about this? Thanks.

Drak3y, Nov 19, 2017 IP
  2. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You really should talk with a lawyer in your area. If you are in the US you should check out Avvo, which may be enough to answer your basic questions.
    It might be as simple as transferring everything to the other gents, if you're not asking for anything in return. But share-wise, then it gets complicated, especially with multiple people involved. I think beforehand, try to figure out what you would accept in compensation and then how you could pull it off. You should also pull all your expenses together, so you can show how much you've spent. Get all the paperwork together, then talk with your lawyer. Speaking from experience, lawyers can be really, really expensive and may cost as much as you would get in selling your portion. It might come down to just walking away from it.

usasportstraining, Nov 19, 2017 IP
  3. Drak3y

Drak3y Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey man,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Appreciate it. It's not really as technical as all that. This is a non-profit fansite that we put together, but we all have an equal share in it. There's nothing in black & white. Like I said, everything is in my name. I just need some advice on the logistics of transferring ownership of the domain, hosting & xenforo license to another party.

Drak3y, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  4. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The domain and hosting will be pretty easy. Often it's just a matter of doing a backup and then importing it into the new site on the new host. The domain, you sell and they change the dns, if they are going with a new host. The host could walk you through it. It's even easier if they use the original host.

Xenforo, you'd want to talk with them. Hopefully they will allow the transfer.

usasportstraining, Nov 20, 2017 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Domain Push.
    New Server or Web Host Acct. Or just contact the Web Host and ask them if they can transfer billing info.
    New contracts?
    Then.........go on about your day?

heh.. "pooled our resources", "This is a joint-venture", "invest into the project", "transferring ownership".... Please tell me this isn't a HostGator fan blog of a sporting team or entertainer that everyone chipped 30 bucks in on..................

NetStar, Nov 20, 2017 IP