1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tricky Photoshop / graphics problem - how to?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by marvinzzz, Jan 17, 2009.

Hello,
    wondering if someone could explain how RL have managed to fill a defined area of clothing with a texture or colour.

Please see:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3064569&cp=1760781.2708576&ab=ln_men_cs10_createyourown&parentPage=family

You can see as the user selects a fabric colour, the image with the model updates with the chosen texture. I know basic colours can be done easily by using a hue/saturation layer and adjusting until you get the desired effect. However, I'm unsure how they have managed to fill the selection with the textures/stripes that they have - unless of course the original model photo was shot wearing a striped tshirt.

More generally, if I want to fill a selection such as a tshirt accurately (complies with contours of clothing/shades/tones, etc) with a series of textures that I have, how can it be done? I'v been using PS for years, but I don't know how to do this. Can this be done at all in PS? If not, what technique in what application would be most suitable for this job?
    Thanks a lot for any help.
    Marvin.

marvinzzz, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  2. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think they are using a javascript and images of the different textures and to answer your question this is nothing that can be done only using photoshop

Sensei.Design, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  3. elias_sorensen

elias_sorensen Active Member

Best Answers:
    If he meant the style switcher, he had probably posted this in the programming-section. Read the question, he asks how to put on another pattern and still maintain the contours.

Ontopic:
    Try Good-tutorials.com. I think there are some tutorials that does exactly what you want.

elias_sorensen, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  4. newyears1978

newyears1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can do it using contour maps? But I have never worked with these before..I will look into it.

newyears1978, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  5. Lessman

Lessman Peon

Best Answers:
    You might be able to do it with a contour map, I think id probably just hand apply the texture as per a reference (Im sure they have each of those shirts on hand to compare patterning and what not).

Lessman, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  6. rmanbike

rmanbike Peon

Best Answers:
    Their is a photoshop plugin for this:

http://www.humansoftware.com/pages1200/Squizz/HSsquizz_textil.html

I have, but being a photoshop newbie, havent been able to master this plugin.

Maybe someone can offer their expertise or services, I did to make at least 500 images for my website.

www.icustomsofa.com

rmanbike, Jun 18, 2009 IP