1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Trying to build a site about bodybuilding. Joomla or Wordpress?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by todachange, Feb 17, 2014.

Hello Everyone.

I am trying to build a site about bodybuilding. (similar to muscleandstrength.com) and its gonna have lot of articles about losing fat and gaining etc... also lot of contents etc. just like muscleandstrength.com.

Which one would you guys recommend me?
    Joomla or Wordpress ? or something else?
    Please state why

P.S. Im sorry if Im asking a simple question but please understand that Im kinda newbie

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    todachange, Feb 17, 2014 IP
    pitdark16 likes this.
  2. todachange

todachange Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    And I am thinking to choose bluehost or hostgator.
    Would you suggest me something else?

3. imuncutno1

imuncutno1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest WordPress.
    -Just Google search. The majority of websites ranking high with WordPress.
    -Uncounted WordPress plugins developers - free or paid.
    -Uncounted WordPress theme's developers - free or paid.
    -Up to date free WordPress plugins + WordPress themes.
    -Uncounted list goes on.

As for hosting, it is good to get Hostgator. Today, they are offering 45% for all new hosting.

imuncutno1, Feb 17, 2014 IP
  4. todachange

todachange Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your respond. really appreciate.
    I agree with everything you mentioned above. :)

I got a question. Can Wordpress handle big websites? (Just in case if my website gets bigger in the future).

5. pitdark16

pitdark16 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also suggest going for a website since it is more user friendly then Joomla and yes, wordpress can handle big webstes.

pitdark16, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  6. Enerica

Enerica Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress definitely sounds like the right fit for you

Enerica, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  7. todachange

todachange Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for replies. I really appriciate it!

and also thanks pitdark16 for the like

todachange, Feb 18, 2014 IP
  8. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    I have both joomla and wordpress , but from my experience, wordpress is the best cms.

swasa, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  9. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer WordPress over Joomla and for what you are looking to do WP would work well. Joomla is not as user friendly IMO.

micksss, Feb 21, 2014 IP
  10. BradySEO

BradySEO Member

Best Answers:
    I would definitely go with WordPress. Not just for its quality, but you'll find a lot more support online if you run into issues with your website - which you definitely will! Little things always need to be tweaked. BlueHost has had some significant downtime this year. I would suggest HostGator. I never had any issues with them.

BradySEO, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  11. jonrod

jonrod Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely go with Wordpress and Hostgator.
    I'm using Wordpress and it's really a great one to use. I've not used Joomla though but based on other people's opinion on any forum sites, WP is the most used CMS.

jonrod, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  12. Python1.com Hosting

Python1.com Hosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Go with what ever you are more comfortable with. I would say Wordpress.

Python1.com Hosting, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  13. jazzyjmnote

jazzyjmnote Banned

Best Answers:
    I have experience with both Wordpress and Joomla and thinks that Joomla is much more advanced while Wordpress is simple.

jazzyjmnote, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  14. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will try to be constructive here and give a more argumentative answer.

First - the application. For the website that you need both would be fully able to do the job. They are both very functional, have LOTS of free tutorials, templates and plugins and great, helpful communities. One thing you mentioned makes your choice easier tho - in your own words, you are a "newbie". This makes it very easy to recommend WordPress as it is much more user-friendly with Joomla. The time it takes to learn how to be comfortable with WP is much less than the one you should give to Joomla. Also, the size of the website would not matter in terms of application, the most important thing for that would be the hosting that you choose.

Here is where you need to be very careful. You have pointed out two of the most popular hosts and I am pretty sure you found them by searching in Google. That is very tricky tho, as both are very rich companies which give A LOT for advertising, so they can appear in those searches. Further more they have many affiliates who lurk around the forums and blatantly advertise them without even using them. Sadly, I think most of the people that responded here are their affiliates too (unless they want to share their websites and detailed experience). HostGator and BlueHost are both owned by a larger company called EIG. If you search them you will find a lot of threads that bash their services and this is for a reason - once they buy a new company (and they already own many hosts) the new management seem to drop down the quality and customer services and there is a large flow of people coming OUT of those companies (you can find a full list of their hosts here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group ). My advice would be to do the completely opposite thing - start looking for smaller hosts, who would be able to give you more attention, more help, more personal touch. You can find such in most forum Advertising threads, especially in WebHostingTalk. Once you choose a few, simply visit their Live Chats, talk to them, see how they respond, how knowledgeable they are and most importantly - what they can do for YOUR needs in particular, because what is "best" for one might be complete crap for another. You can also check what their upgrade options are, as you do expect your project to grow and it will be best if they have multiple upgrade options to suit your needs in any particular moment. Again, not trying to bash the big players like HostGator or BlueHost, I am sure many people are still happy with them but the majority sees a big decline in service and this is something you cannot afford.

Good luck and if you have more questions, will be glad to help again ;)

Rado_ch, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  15. Smartlink Solutions

Smartlink Solutions Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress and Hostgator.

Smartlink Solutions, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  16. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress is a better platform because it provides with numerous plugins and extensions for setting up an efficient website. You will also get the required theme and you can easily upload content and images through WordPress.

MilesWeb, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  17. NextGe

NextGe Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress should be the right call. It is flexible to use and able to extend the functionality easily.

NextGe, Apr 7, 2014 IP