1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

tutorial on repeating patterns?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Pixelrage, Mar 31, 2008.

Does anyone have a *good* tutorial for repeating a texture or pattern? This is still the biggest hangup I have in the realm of graphics. I'd also love to know how to take a word, slant it on a 45 degree angle, and have it seamlessly repeat for a website background.

I've seen basic tutorials that really don't go into this type of thing. What would be really great is some kind of Photoshop plugin that does it automatically for you.

Pixelrage, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could try this for the repeating pattern tutorial: Veerle's Blog

A repeating word would follow a similar format.

eruct, Mar 31, 2008 IP
  3. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure, what you've got to do is make the actual image you want repeated first. Obviously.

Next, if it's a vector shape or text, you need to make it into a raster. Only pixel images work for repeating patterns. So next, simply select that area that you want repeating with the rectangular marque tool, and go to edit > define pattern. This will put this design in the patterns presets.

Next, go to your layer that you want to fill with the pattern. Click Shift+F5, or just use the Fill Tool. Select the fill type to be pattern, instead of the default "color" and voila :)

For complex patterns that need to be seamless, you need to use the offset filter. Read up on the offset filter and it becomes trivial.

Good Luck :)

SitPoMk, Apr 5, 2008 IP