1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ultimate CMS?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Frenzypanda, Aug 11, 2008.

What is a CMS?
    A content management system (CMS) is computer software used to create, edit, manage, and publish content in a consistently organized fashion. CMS's are frequently used for storing, controlling, versioning, and publishing industry-specific documentation such as news articles, operators' manuals, technical manuals, sales guides, and marketing brochures. The content managed may include computer files, image media, audio files, electronic documents, and Web content. They allow a user to create and manage a website with a wide variety of features without the need to learn web design languages. Content is generated dynamically based off of admin submitted data by filling out forms in an admin area or user submitted data.

Intoduction.

I've been doing web design since I was 12 years old. I got into web-design, web-development and graphics through playing online video games. There would often be groups, clans, guilds and whatnot, which is basically just a group of people who socialize and game with one another. There would always be someone who would create some kind of website with information on the members, ranks, news, forums, etc. From an early age this sparked an interest in me as to how they do this. Now at the age of 20 I have 8 years of experience in the web-coding field and extensive knowledge of XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, Flash, PHP, SQL, XML, AJAX, Networking and more.

For several years I have been working freelance and have worked on hundreds of websites, have a few dozen long term clients and a handful of coding friends. People are always coming to me with a desire to create and manage a website when they have limited to no knowledge of web design languages. For these people I would always just use a CMS, to allow them to maintain the site themselves. I had worked on e107 CMS and done custom plugins and themes for it for about 5 years now, I have found it to be one of the best CMS's on the market (not to mention its free). The only thing its lacking is professional quality Plug-ins, Add-ons, and Themes. I've been looking for the "best CMS" available and have tested neatly 100 different systems. None of which has left me completely satisfied. Wherever theres a nice core to the system, theres a lacking of add-ons and themes. Wherever theres a weak core, there may be some nice add0ons and themes. But I have yet to find a system that could be used on every and any website. One with all the essential needs to managing a basic website, and add-ons to cover the needs of some of the most advanced sites.

Recently I had a customer who I had to integrate 3 DIFFERENT CMS's to work together (Joomla, vBulletin, zencart). This is when I decided enough is enough. I'm sick of having to do so much work on these other systems that are suppose to make things "easier". I could always just custom code what the person needs, but that's time consuming and rather pricey, and I don't like to rip anyone off.

So finally, me and a buddy decided to make our own CMS. One that has EVERYTHING that ANYONE would ever want in a website system. A wide selection of professional quality plug-ins and add-ons that fully integrate into the core of the website system. A huge library of professional, clean, sophisticated and overall great looking templates, themes, skins and website designs to fit anyone's website. An active online comunity for website owners, plugin authors and site designers to converse and learn. If you want to run an online website with custom pages news, that also has an online store or catalog, a forums, a support suite and anything else, you won't have to integrate e107, OScommerce, vBulletin and Kayako. You can have 1 core that allows you to add-on any features you will need for any site.

My CMS Ideas
    Below is the structure of the Admin Area. You can see how I plan to set up the system for people to use, and what features it will have. But what I want to know is, what do other people want in a website system? What features do the consumers want in their CMS? I have included everything that to me are essential in a CMS, but different people have different opinions. I want to have some additional input and planning into this system.

So what I need is people to review the following structure of the admin area, to get a general understanding of how it works. And then post some feedback on what you think so far and if there's anything I missed or could include.

Thanks to all who submit some input. :D

Frenzypanda, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  2. ngcoders

ngcoders Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend going in for custom content types like drupal has , rather than do so many diffrent types of content types.

drupal + cck :)

ngcoders, Aug 12, 2008 IP