1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

URL Shortening Service - Which domain name?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Clive, Mar 9, 2010.

?

Which domain would you use for a URL Shortening Service?

1. cutt.ws

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. cuty.ws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Hi guys,

I've been trying my skills on a WordPress Short URL plugin to build a service similar to bit.ly, tinyurl.com etc. As far as the domain is concerned, I've been searching for a short, yet brandable name. You all know what it takes to find a good one, you need to be either very creative to find a name that is still available or rich to buy a short one from a domainer.

So far, I managed to come up with two choices:

cutt.ws - cut the web short (domain concept similar to "digg")
    cuty.ws - cut your web short (domain concept similar to "tiny")

So what do you think, is any of these directions worth following? Would something like http://cutt.ws/short/ or http://cuty.ws/short/ generate interest? Which of the two coices sounds better if any of them suits the purpose of a URL Shortening Service at all? Or should I keep searching for other options? Please share your views.

Clive, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  2. WordWaves

WordWaves Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd go with the first one. It makes sense to me.

WordWaves, Mar 9, 2010 IP
    Clive likes this.
  3. QuackWare

QuackWare Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, cutt.ws seems like a more memorable and better link shortening website.

QuackWare, Mar 9, 2010 IP
    Clive likes this.
  4. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The 1st option gets my vote as it is easier to remember,i am setting up a new url shortening site at the moment but i am going down the route of using a domain that is 2 letters longer than yours but its a .com and and easy to remember so we will give it a try if it does not work out we will have to look at another name.Good luck with your new site

Mega B, Mar 9, 2010 IP
    Clive likes this.
  5. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all for the valuable inputs, and good luck with your project, Mega B!

Clive, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  6. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Any more opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated before we make the final decision for the domain to use out of the two.
    Those of you who have already given their thoughts received reputation points as a thank you :)

Clive, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    cutt is better. Hope you have time for all the spam! My webhost was unimpressed by the spamcop notices he was getting. When I went through the links there was some pretty nasty stuff in there.

sarahk, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  8. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Sarah. I too believe cutt is a better word to go with.

And I do have some plans for the project to build it in a matter that will keep spamming to a low level, yes I do hope I have time for all this as I've got no intention to just upload an existing url shortening script, it's a custom code that we are working on as a WordPress plugin, and it's going to be a feature rich service aimed to attract those who need a proper link manager, extended statistics and a few other useful options to use.

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

Clive, Mar 10, 2010 IP