1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

User Profile social network like idea.

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Rowdie, Nov 4, 2009.

Uh greetings, I was wondering if there was such thing as a web app for a user to fill out their own information on what they want displayed in a public profile. Like the defunct Mevu, where you tell the audience where you live on the net by simply creating a profile, listing your AIMs, Web Presences, your main web site, probably email, favorite links, and a description of yourself on the net. Unlike it was missing tags, and relationship features.

One thing that turns me off about twitter which is probably one of the only place to have a web presence at the moment is, that interesting people twitter page I goto, has their updates protected so I really don't know what's going on there.

Here is my idea of a web app for users to create public profiles to show on the net:

(uses http)
    img405.imageshack.us/i/usrdbmockup.gif/

If you don't want to post anything public about a certani subject, don't put it there.

Like MySpace but with a difference of being much more light weight where embedded apps, blogs, and anything else bloated is excluded because that can actually slow down my laptop.

Just only filling out a profile, with some relationship features for the reason of seeing how popular the user is in terms of fanbase and relationships with other users. A private messaging feature could be a possibility for sending messages to other users inside the site only. Not exactly like email.

And a picture verification should be required when either filling out fields or sending private messages to other users so spam bots don't take advantage of this ideal service.

And most certainly a real name is optional to enter in a profile unlike facebook, where they are more biased to people meeting other people in real life.

The idea web app should have a twitter style simple web layout, which makes it appealing to computer/internet savvy people like me.

Eventhough there are many other profiles things out there, none of them has what I actually want. The one that came the closest was "profilactic", however it's not popular, has not been updated for a while, and doesn't have a good name either.

So my picture mockup explains about my idea of a perfect web app. With the tag and relationship features.

As long as it's not biased towards one subject or people meeting other people in real life, and has a good name that related to the web app, then this should be the place where I put my presence at.

What do you think about this idea? Good? Bad?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Rowdie, Nov 4, 2009 IP