1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Virtual Reality and Internet Marketing

Discussion in 'General Business' started by James Rigley, Mar 26, 2014.

I am a firm believer that the Virtual Reality will be the next big thing. Today Facebook announced that they bought Oculus VR for $2 billions($400 mln cash + Facebook stocks). For people who don't know what Oculus VR is - they build virtual reality headsets like Oculus Rift that will try to get you inside the games you are playing. The initial product was funded by Kickstart. They have built and distributed developer kits(prototypes) and reviews are positive.

And here comes Facebook. They have acquired the leading virtual reality tech for just 2 billions(they paid 18 billions for WhatsApp just a few weeks ago), which means that the technology is almost ready to go mainstream. Here is a quote from the Facebook announcement:

So at the beginning the product will work mainly with games, but eventually Mark wants to build a whole online reality world, create our own Matrix. And their prototype product is ready, but will probably face a lot of upgrades as now Oculus have access to the money and engineers of Facebook.

Do you think that this will change the Internet Marketing? Having so many wearable gadgets that will track what you do and offering you targeted advertisement almost all the time. Will Facebook Ads became better than Google AdWords. And even the more scary part, will Facebook manage to kill Google Search, integrating their own search system in the Virtual Reality World?

P.S Just search Youtube for Oculus Rift demos, to see how it works.

James Rigley, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  2. depat

depat Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i think it will not change nothing. Of course facebook will try to integrate itself to vr but i dont thing it will be a big thing. The brand facebook will soon fade away and the brand oculus will show up. so the new facebook will be oculus. They will soon start to maybe dominate the physical world. Facebook might just aswell just help them financially and push their product. I think that mr mark just wants to make a platform and thats his main focus. Please remember that hes looking to new things as he wants to stay relevant for a long as possible. Well if you thing he has to as his firm is public. Im just feeling like facebook is drowning and they are trying to do everything to survive, however i might be wrong but for sure they will not shove a internet browser into our eyes. Im not buying one anyway so yeah :p

depat, Mar 30, 2014 IP