1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Voice to Text Software - Productivity

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Whisper9999, May 5, 2010.

I spend a fair amount of time in the car due to commuting and driving my kids around. I'd like to use that time more productively through voice recognition software. Specifically, I'd like to be able to actually do some of my blog article writing while driving. (Nothing dangerous mind you!)

Does anyone have any voice-to-text software that they would recommend? Any they would recommend against?

Whisper9999, May 5, 2010 IP
  2. troupe

troupe Peon

Best Answers:
    I use MacSpeech Dictate. They have a new version to do what you are describing called Transcribe. Before you buy software, try dictating into a tape recorder and then transcribing it exactly the way a computer program would. You may find it isn't as productive as you think.

troupe, May 5, 2010 IP
  3. Whisper9999

Whisper9999 Member

Best Answers:
    Thx for the reply.

My laptop is Windows by the way.

What do you mean by transcribe? If it creates a text file with paragraphs, I pretty much just have to add my html headers, right?

What takes so much time?

4. troupe

troupe Peon

Best Answers:
    Dragon Naturally Speaking is the Windows version.

A lot of people have trouble going from writing to speaking--especially when you have to dictate exactly every comma, period and paragraph. (Dragon may have a way to do some of this for you automatically. I haven't used it for awhile)

Transcribe is the Mac product that lets you take a recording and process it. Dictate lets you talk into your computer.

troupe, May 5, 2010 IP
  5. Whisper9999

Whisper9999 Member

Best Answers:
    I don't need to transcribe I don't think. I envision having my laptop on with me talking into a mike. Of course I wouldn't look at my laptop while driving!

As far as learning to dictate, I think I can learn that, especially in time. I am highly motivated to squeeze out more pages for more site!

And thx! Any other tips?

6. MayaLocke

MayaLocke Peon

Best Answers:
    Dragon Naturally Speaking has been the long time leader in this market, in fact it will learn your speach patterns as you make corrections.

MayaLocke, May 10, 2010 IP
  7. troupe

troupe Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure you get a good microphone. It will make a very big difference in the quality of the recognition.

You will probably need to do a lot of editing. I occasionally use MacSpeech for blog posts. My proof reader told me:

"I can tell when you use voice recognition. When you type your articles they actually make sense." :)

troupe, May 10, 2010 IP
  8. Whisper9999

Whisper9999 Member

Best Answers:
    Thx for the advice.

Whisper9999, May 10, 2010 IP
  9. Whisper9999

Whisper9999 Member

Best Answers:
    Thx. I've been reading a little more about it and that's what I'm hearing...

Whisper9999, May 13, 2010 IP
  10. madesukma

madesukma Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, I agree, Dragon Naturally Speacking indeed the best choice.

madesukma, May 15, 2010 IP