1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Webhosting company redirecting sales to clone store

Discussion in 'General Business' started by swing4dafence, May 16, 2014.

So, signed up for webhosting package complete with server and e-commerce platform. Rolled out store, ramped up sales, organic traffic, etc, over the course of three years. Put $3
    0k into professional SEO and webdesign. Pretty constant growth of traffic, sales, backlinks, etc. Suddenly sales dropped to 25%, around Xmas 2013 and have not recovered. No Google slap. Site is pristine compliant. Traffic showing the same growth, backlinks SEO still chugging along as usual. For the life of me I could not figure out why sales tanked with the same traffic to the site. Long story short, found out webhost - the guy running the server and my e-commerce platform apparently was impressed with all my sales and rolled out a clone site and is in the same biz now. Direct competitor. (Yes, I need to move the whole friggin thing.) But, first I want to be able to prove he diverted traffic somehow and/or sales. Anyone out there had this happen? Where do I look to get iron clad proof of this on my Shopping Cart or elsewhere? (FYI -I am out about $50k here.) Any help appreciated!!!

swing4dafence, May 16, 2014 IP
  2. kush86

kush86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First take a record of your month to month records as well as when he went into business. Once you have all of that move your ecommerce website asap. Then record your month to month records. Once you have everything then do with it as you please.

kush86, May 16, 2014 IP
  3. swing4dafence

swing4dafence Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Kush86,

Thanks for the comments.

I can do that. However, it is only going to be circumstantial evidence. I would anticipate there being lots of noise about how the new platform just performed better or it was a seasonal issue or a Google algo problem, etc., etc. I am envisioning lawyers involved in this and irrefutable black and white records of a code hack or redirect script or whatever is much more damning. What I am specifically interested in is ways to ascertain proof of how my shopping cart is being hijacked. Maybe it is a programmer question.

swing4dafence, May 16, 2014 IP
  4. kush86

kush86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, your best option in that case is speaking with a programmer. You might want to pay him/her to look through the code to find something that's not suppose to be there.

kush86, May 16, 2014 IP