1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What About A Virtual Portfolio?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Linton, Jan 29, 2013.

I need to show my resources, but still have not made dozens of designs. In order to show potential customers my skills and ideas, would it be a good idea to create several websites for imaginary businesses? Using a free hosting, obviously.

I could use some help, regards.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Linton, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  2. Web Krafters

Web Krafters Member

Best Answers:
    Why not offer your services at reasonable prices and pay after satisfaction service to clients this will not only increase your portfolio but will also get you good regular clients to trust you.

Web Krafters, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  3. Linton

Linton Peon

Best Answers:
    And do you think I could get it tomorrow evening????? :)

Linton, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  4. cjp214

cjp214 Member

Best Answers:
    @Linton,

I've been there and certainly understand your pain. There's a Catch-22 situation: people won't hire you unless they see a portfolio...but how are you supposed to get a portfolio unless people hire you?

Frustrating, to say the least.

Anyways, I wouldn't spend too much time creating sample websites. Maybe 1 or 2 would do the trick. My suggestion is to keep pushing to get paying customers. Be up front with them: let them know that you're new and you're trying to build your portfolio. Also offer to work with them without upfront payment and they don't pay you unless they are 100% satisfied with your work.

I know this approach can take a little longer, but the work you to will be something you can definitely include in your portfolio. And acquiring paying clients teaches you new (vital) lessons that building a few sample websites for yourself simply won't.

One final thought. Being a web designer, I'd make sure you have an awesome-looking website you could refer potential clients to!

Best of luck,

Corey

cjp214, Jan 29, 2013 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  5. hasanoben

hasanoben Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello mate.. I guess you're right.. I myself had hard time about that and still having hard time..
    You mentioned about free hosting services.. Actually in one of my sites, I do that ..
    I give people 1 subdomain and FTP access to that subdomain so people can upload their sites there..
    And you will also get 1 MySQL database if you want to work on wordpress, joomla etc...
    But the thing is the site is in Turkish.. I don't have time to turn it into English or make it multilanguage..
    So i'll give you a tip to register here if you are interested in that...
    http://sitenidene.com
    Go there..

On the header you will see "Giriş Yap" "Kayıt" buttons in black...
    Click on "Kayıt" Button.. You will see a light box openning..
    I'll list the input names here;
    1) Your Name:
    2) Username:
    3) Password:
    4) Re-write Password:
    5) E-mail:
    6) Re-write E-mail:
    Then click on the "Kayıt" button at the bottom.
    When you register, a confirmation mail will be mailed and you need to click on the link to make your account active..
    However that won't matter because all the process is made by me manually..
    When you registered, with the info you put there i'll open a username.sitenidene.com subdomain and ftp accounts and a database... then send you the info via mail...
    Well.. I hope that helps :)

hasanoben, Jan 29, 2013 IP
  6. Linton

Linton Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much you two!

Linton, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  7. point55

point55 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Creating websites for imaginary businesses sound like a bad idea to me. You should rather go on and create some templates, that will not only increase your portfolio but you can sell those templates as well. If you are really that good - themeforest.net can be a great place to sell your created designs.

point55, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  8. Linton

Linton Peon

Best Answers:
    Hum, templates? I'm not trying to sell cheap templates, but whole designs from scratch. Just need to show more and speak less -it sounds sort of jQuery :)

Linton, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  9. iandille101

iandille101 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First impression is lasting. So, if you want to attract more clients with your virtual portfolio, make sure to it that it is clickable then they will be impressed of your try out. Make it as if it is final. Do your best.

iandille101, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  10. Linton

Linton Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure that I understood you :confused: I meant to hire a domain with say 5 subdomains, and each one will host the website of an imaginary business. They would be always clickable!

Linton, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  11. promowebeveron

promowebeveron Member

Best Answers:
    Its definitely worth giving a try! Who knows, it might give a boost to your sales?

promowebeveron, Feb 1, 2013 IP