1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are the most annoying problems you have to face as a web designer?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by JamesYes, Mar 26, 2014.

All professions and careers present their annoying problems, e.g.: computer programmers often have to deal with crappy code, usually from others, which is a pain in the ass.

How about web design? What are thre most annoying problems web designers often face?

JamesYes, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  2. zenplus

zenplus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not a web designer but I'm guessing dealing with clients is going to be an issue. Especially clients who pay $100 and expect the world. Two ways around this:

1) Raise your rates (when you can do this.) I've heard multiple times that when clients pay you better they treat you better.
    2) Fire your bad clients. If clients are not respectful to you or are too much trouble, stop dealing with them.

zenplus, Mar 26, 2014 IP
  3. James Rigley

James Rigley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Handling clients is troublesome, but I don't think that this is the most annoying thing that a webdesigner will face in his freelance career. The most annoying things that any(web designers included) freelancer will face are the taxes.

It might not be a big issue when you are starting, but once you scale it becomes a complete mess. I can't give any specific advice about that, as different countries have different laws about freelancing. What I do as a freelance content writer to handle my taxes:
    1. Keep a spreadsheet(MS Excel, Google Docs or heck even plain text would be good) with ALL of your expenses and income. In a different file save all your receipts/invoices, so you can easily find them. Cloud accounting is a different(but not free) option. I heard nice words for Freshbooks.
    2. Consult an accountant regularly. Once every three months works for me, I get all the answers I need and it is way cheaper than hiring one full time. The money that a good accountant can save you greatly outweighs their fees.
    3. Find a good lawyer. As a content writer I have received a few copyright infringements cases from people who have copied my content, posted the content on their website and faked the post date blackmailing me for money. With the help of my lawyer I managed to get out of this situation. They are also useful if any of your clients "forget" to pay you, as getting an official later from a lawyer scares them.

James Rigley, Mar 26, 2014 IP