1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What constitutes as too "self-promotional in Pintrest?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by CarvedStone, May 23, 2012.

So I recently started up a Pintrest page for the company I work for in hopes of driving traffic to our website. I can see it being a great marketing tool for us if it takes off because we have a wealth of images for our product and services. We do custom design and installation of natural stone architectural features like fireplaces, fountains, staircases, statues, sinks, benches, etc. So we have quite a few images to share.

What I’m wondering is, what does Pintrest generally consider to be too promotional?

I am currently trying to add other images by re-pinning others and following other users so our boards don’t consist entirely of our own product images. Once I start to see an increase in followers I plan to open some Guest Pinner Galleries as well for boards like “Your Dream Home”.

I guess where I’m questioning the validity of some of the pins I’d like to make is for pictures which I can’t readily assign to a link on our website that is promotional but would still contain content that the user would find useful to read or view.
    For example, I’ve been writing several blog posts which cover our design or installation process in depth and show a combination of “money shots” and actual installation process. These are great because they not only show technical details but they show off our experience and knowledge level while be chock full of keywords. I’ve had several of them appear on page 3 of google after a matter of days.

In the best example of that, we got a call from a country club in Arkansas interested in a large fountain. Arkansas is far from our location (Wisconsin) so we tracked activity on Google Analytics back to a unique IP in that region that visited the site and stayed for 19 minutes and used the same keyword as the article title! They did place an order for a custom fountain.

And the other place I’ve been pointing pins back to is our catalog pages in our online store. If they like what they see they can order it.

So the dilemma I have is I’m finding some images I’d like to pin that just don’t have a practical place in either. Like a shot of a full house that we installed exterior stone veneer and stone columns on.
    I already have a technical article talking about the installation of exterior stone veneer, and I honestly feel like it’s too long to begin with. Adding 5 or 10 more images would absolutely lose someone’s attention span, even if there is little text to read.

Plan B would be putting the house image as an additional image on the product page of an individual veneer tile, but it still makes little sense to make the pin lead to there unless I say:

“We installed Grey Granite stone veneer and carved stone columns on the exterior of this house. Click the image to see the tile up close in our online store.”

What I would rather do is point back to the “Ideas Gallery” albums on our website and says in the description:

“This house is clad in a variety of natural stone veneer provided and installed by Carved Stone Creations. Contact us at 1-800-XXX-XXXX to find out more about the natural stone products we carry and can install on your home.”

So that brings up the question in my mind, what is considered “Spam” on Pintrest?

I’m not redirecting an image of a REAL Gucci purse back to a fake in an online store, deploying affiliate program bots, sending traffic to a completely unrelated subject matter, or pinning “BUY NOW 20% OF SALE!” graphics over images, but it’s probably pretty clear that the nature of some of our pins are self-promotional .

Do they generally frown upon adding extra links to descriptions?

Likewise, is adding a phone number to a description not condoned?

I don’t want to get our account restricted to see our posts get flagged.

CarvedStone, May 23, 2012 IP
  2. stonedleprechon

stonedleprechon Peon

Best Answers:
    that was an interesting and informative article.

stonedleprechon, May 23, 2012 IP