1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What dimension do people usually use for logo ?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by B.E.W.D, Apr 30, 2009.

I am going to make a logo but I didn't know what dimension I should use ( pds file ), a very large one ( and scale when using ) or a smaller one. What do people usually use for business? Can you give me exactly dimension you use? Thanks.

B.E.W.D, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  2. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    by "for business" i assume you mean website, letterhead, business cards, banners, brocures and anything involving a corporate brand. in that case there is no set canvas dimension as they are usually created as scalable vector graphics. as long as it is large enough to show all of the detail you need, it does not matter. vector images can be blown up to the size of your local walmart parking lot and not lose quality as compared to it's retarded cousin, raster images which lose quality and begin to pixelate at 150% original size if not 101%.

logos should always be created and delivered as vector images because of the many uses and sizes that they need to be for various applications in a business environment.

ansi, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  3. B.E.W.D

B.E.W.D Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much. I know about vector image but I can only make pixel image so I go around and ask for detail I saw some designer still use pixel image for logo ( which is layered pds file ) I don't really sure about that so I try asking

B.E.W.D, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  4. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you must go raster (and i would advise against it especially if you're dealing with a client who is at least half-way important), then make it as large as possible at 300dpi that way it can be scaled down to the size needed. raster images pixelate when made larger not smaller so keep that in mind.

ansi, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  5. B.E.W.D

B.E.W.D Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks very much these information is very important to me. Oh and in my first post I want to say "a very large one or a little larger one" because I remember someone had tell me when scaling a large image into too small image it would make the image blur.

B.E.W.D, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  6. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah that is possible that it will blur if it is made too small

ansi, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  7. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    doesn't matter, design it as vector. there's no other way to create a logo. If you're creating it in photoshop it's not a logo darling, it's just artwork.

You could create it in a vector program, and import the vector shape into photoshop as a smrt shape, resize it to where you want it, and then rasterize it and add all the fancy effects you want - but the important thing is having a vector copy so you don't have to re-make it later.

If what's holding you back is not having a vector program, now you do: http://www.inkscape.org

As for formats, Vectors take on whatever shape they need to to communicate their purpose. Typically a logo ought to be sqaurish so it won't be TOO wide or tall, because that makes it awkward to fit into places.

Hope this helps.

innovati, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  8. B.E.W.D

B.E.W.D Peon

Best Answers:
    I would try using inkscape, thank you much. And just another question If i use inkscape what filetype I should give to my customer inkscape svg, plain svg or pdf. Thanks again

B.E.W.D, Apr 30, 2009 IP