1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do Employers Hate about Employees? - Dirty secrets about employees?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by entry, Oct 7, 2010.

I am starting a free ebook on
    1) Interview tips
    2) things employers hate,- which would immediately ruin your chances of getting a job, if they found them out about you.

I already have many for 1) (so i am doing fine), but need help for 2

For 2) i have these (These are more things that the applicant Wouldn't reveal on the interview)
    -drug abuse
    -Criminal records
    -sacked at previous job
    - please help me with a list of others?

What other dirty secrets would put a job employer off? Help me come up with more for list 2)

Like i said, 2) are not really interview based, but more dirty secrets that the applicant 'doesn't reveal on the interview, and hides from the employee.

entry, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  2. WorksForWeb

WorksForWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Employers hate incompetence and lack of professionalism in their field.

WorksForWeb, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  3. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People are just stupid and get on my nerves, I have no time for wasters.

Seqqa, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  4. JoesMillion

JoesMillion Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate it when my employees can't stick to a deadlines.

JoesMillion, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  5. swasts

swasts Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate when my employees don't respect me.....

swasts, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you respect them?

Many of these are pet issues and therefore will vary greatly. I have employed people with criminal records and they have been exceptional employees but that doesn't mean I would employ any one with a record. Likewise if they have been sacked from their last job.

Are you looking for issues pre employment or whilst in employment?

I assume it is the former in which case:

Timing - if you have an interview at 2pm then turn up at about 1:50..... Its bad to turn up late (though there can be good reasons and you should phone ahead as soon as you know you will be late) but also shows bad planning if you turn up at 1:15

Lying - we all stretch the truth on our CVs and make ourselves look as good as possible but be realistic. Dont tell me you have worked in projects for 6 months and are already a senior manager delivering $50m projects on your own especially when you do not know 75% of the standard terminology of project management

Bad mouthing - don't be overly negative about your former team mates or boss. Doesn't make you look good by saying your boss was terrible and you had to reverse manage them through the whole process.

Not answering the question completely - in compentancy questions (eg, give an example when one of your direct reports haven't been performing at the required level) answer the directly asked question and the follow on. I want you to tell me the situation, what you did, what the outcome was and if you'd do anything different not just to hear about how one of your team was always off sick and then silence.

Salary expectations - if a job is advertised at 40-60 don't automatically say you want 60 esp if your resume says your probably worth around 35. Yes there can be some negotiation but its small fry changes.

Covering letters/ tailored CVs - I prefer the first but make sure you do one of these. Any idea how many job applications managers get per job advert? Is there really time to read 150 CVs when your obviously already busy (otherwise you wouldnt be hiring)? And if I do get time to scan read them all, what in yours is going to tell me that you can do this job better than the other 149? Believe me, there will be plenty that list 5+ years experience in doing Java programming

AstarothSolutions, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  7. orihara

orihara Peon

Best Answers:
    1) I don't like hard-nosed, not flexible employees.
    2) When they ask too many questions at once +_+ :)
    3) When they don't accept criticism in a healthy manner (I think such people loose their chances to grow professionally)
    4) And even worse - when they agree with you, but make their own way, without informing you (although I myself do so in rare cases *^^*)
    5) When they drop the task and keep silent (for ex. because something goes wrong or they don't understand how to perform task, or have no time)
    6) I don't like irresponsible, light-minded employees, nihilists ^^
    7) People who are always not friendly, discourteous (I don't mind rude jokes and so on, but I think it's unpleasant to work with angry people)
    8) : Р When they spend much time chatting in messengers, or reading various interesting blogs (not related to work)
    he-he :) long list ^^"

orihara, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  8. orihara

orihara Peon

Best Answers:
    +1!!! ^^ Terribly annoying when I have to ask the same question several times

I also like this qoute, that describes good employee imho *^^*
    "How To Work Better:
    1. Do one thing at a time
    2. Know the problem
    3. Learn to listen
    4. Learn to ask questions
    5. Distinguish sense from nonsense
    6. Accept change as inevitable
    7. Admit mistakes
    8. Say it simple
    9. Be calm
    10. Smile
    "

orihara, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  9. misshappy

misshappy Peon

Best Answers:
    i hate it when my employee does not show up on time and gives me excuses on why he never completes his work on time...

i also hate it when they want a raise of some sort if they can't even produce good quality work...

misshappy, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  10. xixi12

xixi12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate it when my employees are not honest when it comes to the money part of the business. I had one who started off a mini business of his own from mine and diverted most of my customers. Lets just say an overly ambitious employee

xixi12, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  11. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's some excellent posts here. One thing that irritates me is employees who won't make a decision without confirming it with someone more senior first, even when they have the power to make that decision. It slows things down, makes the whole company look indecisive, and is guaranteed to raise my blood pressure to dangerous levels (maybe that's why they do it?).

RonBrown, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  12. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    great topic discussion..it seems like procrastination, respect, lying, stealing, lack of professionalism seem to be the main issues.. trust and communication sure is a big thing for employer and employees.

Justin_Dupre, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  13. Beijingseo

Beijingseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool thread, I'll let you know what I hate about employees at the interview level, because i like all the people that i hired.

1) Dressing like shit - the interview will last 2 sentences or I'll ask my secretary to get you to leave. Really pisses me off when people cant dress for an interview.

2) Being late - just leave right now.

3) People who cant answer I dont know, feel it necessary to bullshit me.

3b) When interviewing people in foreign countries that claim to have excellent english then cant understand a word im saying. Doesn't stop them from noddding in agreement for however long.

Beijingseo, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  14. abhineptune

abhineptune Active Member

Best Answers:
    employers hate themselves due to only one reason that "they dont respect themselves" so the only chance is to hate so better to respect.

abhineptune, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  15. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Late for work
    Not meeting target and objectives
    Poor display of teamwork qualities

lycos, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  16. Le Dangles

Le Dangles Member

Best Answers:
    Poor communication skills, bad team work, and lack of motivation to work on projects.

Le Dangles, Oct 15, 2010 IP