1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do I need to do to get a forum running?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by newmarketer, Jun 6, 2010.

I am considering running a forum similar to Digitalpoint. What is required to get that done? I am not really technical, so the more descriptive you can be, the better. Thanks!

newmarketer, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  2. petr_ind

petr_ind Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Keep in mind, DP need years to be like this.
    What you need:
    1. good niche, (it sounds you want to make Webmaster forum)
    2. Drive people to your forum.
    3. Ensure you have good quality threads, and also good TOS that facilitate all members want
    4. Try to make the members feel happy in your site (maybe making contest or something like that)
    5. Keep promoting your forum.

good luck :)

petr_ind, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  3. newmarketer

newmarketer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks petr_ind. I was wondering if vbulletin would be a good choice?

newmarketer, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  4. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your question about using the VB script this is only the one to use if you are looking at making it a big forum,if you are just say wanting a small support forum you could get away with the phpBB script but the No1 choice has to be the VB script.Good luck with your new project

Mega B, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  5. sanyi007

sanyi007 Peon

Best Answers:
    phpbb, mybb, smf are free forum sotwares, with open source and big community. For big forum with higher php programming knowledge i recommend phpbb. With less php knowledge i recommend smf, that one is easily can be modded. For high security, go with mybb.
    I think the best choice is smf.

Start your forum with buying a good domain name. A reliable shared server with php+mysql+htaccess enabled etc. would be good enough for starting your community, and if it is growing steadily, you can get a vps, then later on a dedi.

So for starting i recommend:
    your own domain
    smf forum software
    php+mysql, reliable shared hosting (can be even free hosting, but find a big one, which has good reviews)
    seo seo seo and seo

About vb: you can get it later on if it is worth, and the community is good enough... there are always updated version of smf to vb scripts, so you can move everything to that commercial software if that is your need (but i think you will love smf once you get used to it)

sanyi007, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  6. Shirley1874

Shirley1874 Peon

Best Answers:
    At least you should know dynamic web page technique, such PHP, ASP.NET, JSP. digitalpoint uses PHP.

Shirley1874, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  7. iimmdeepak

iimmdeepak Peon

Best Answers:
    i think u should add some experts to ur forum to start things then it will automatically grow and give good results but make sure that u provide the proper content and the threads.
    Thanks

iimmdeepak, Jun 11, 2010 IP