1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think about reseller hosting business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by rome9t9, Jan 10, 2008.

I want to be a web hosting reseller. What is your opinion about this business? Is it good? I don't wish to earn in millions but $1k/mo will be fine with me. Which reseller service provider do you recommend apart from HOSTGATOR?

rome9t9, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  2. Raisin

Raisin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Host reselling is a crowded industry. You better have a good idea on where you're going to get your clients from if you hope to make $5 a month let alone 1k. If you know of a unknown niche where you can advertise your service that's great, but don't expect people to randomly drop in from a search engine and sign up.

Raisin, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  3. linsys

linsys Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, reseller is ONLY good if you run a web design company and can signup a few clients each month, after a few years hosting alone will bring you some good money..

linsys, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  4. Myr

Myr Member

Best Answers:
    Too saturated market, what you could do is buy an already established reseller site.

Myr, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  5. Game Producer

Game Producer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's okay business if you get OFFLINE customers. Online market is so saturated, but getting friends' friends in the beginning can bring some money. They can get you some more customers.. until you are doing fine & can move to a dedicated host (which you need at some point - since resellers tend to get slow at some point)

Game Producer, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  6. aceonline

aceonline Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it is a very crowded business but arent all others taken too ??
    If you dont try , you wont know , would you?

Host reselling is up to you , but if you ask me you need to have great advertising for that .
    And if i were you and i wanted to establish a reselling business , i would start small with free hosting and a community , promote it and when i had enough members and posts /day , i would introduce the paid packages and start some sort of promotional prize for the members to promote my paid hosting and that would boost my paid program :D

Many may disagree but its only my point of view.
    Ace.

aceonline, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  7. rome9t9

rome9t9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow..good tip aceonlie...that was a nice idea..thanks

rome9t9, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  8. Sam 735

Sam 735 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try Social Media...it's interesting and profitable. Anyway you have to spend a lot of time on your website...

Sam 735, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  9. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you've thought to start with your local market it would be easier to start with, go with the hosting company those provide good support and have good knowledge base.

bobchrist, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  10. QiSoftware

QiSoftware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree the online market is very saturated. If you can combine your hosting with web design or something like that it is great and I also recommend marketing to your local offline community.

I offer Java server side tools, so I offer JSP hosting. I also offer a lot incentatives. Things are still tuff in the online arena.

Q...

QiSoftware, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  11. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The most important thing is to have some above the average knowledge before starting - the same for marketing as without it, it will be impossible to get started. To go and start with free hosting is not a bad advice but you will have to be patient as this is a ungrateful business at the start. The other thing you can do is just to help some company doing their marketing - this way you will learn a lot and who knows, may be one day you will be big ;)!

Good Luck!

HostColor, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  12. domitri

domitri Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you want to get into this market, you have to be exceptional to make your services better than your competitors, otherwise you won´t get anything

domitri, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  13. Sonwebhost

Sonwebhost Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start small and grow, learn the business and as you gain market share you will get clients. Post on forums like this and word of mouth, 1k/mo is a good goal to start with. Enjoy.

Sonwebhost, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  14. scubadive

scubadive Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very simple business if you have clients from some other job that you do...

scubadive, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  15. tekkers

tekkers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    every techy with $20 in his pocket is a webhosting reseller directly or indirectly

find another industry

tekkers, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  16. Zebios

Zebios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Reseller web hosting??Ok we are talking about overselling here..the good news is that reseller program is cheap and profitable (the easy way) yes you can earn money but not 1K/month..i'm gonna say 20$/month max..The bad news is that the reseller program will get your business down sooner or later you can't control the hosting environement, you can't even control the server..sometimes clients want to enable or disable something let's say in php.ini well you will not have access to it and if you try to contact the hosting provider to change something for you you will get a refusal..i have an experience with this so that's why i will advice you like a bro..go get a managed VPS with cPanel/WHM licence to begin with if you see that your business grows,then you will upgrade to dedicated server and you will hit then the whole web hosting industry..just stay away from reseller program that will bring you a big headache.

Zebios, Apr 23, 2013 IP
  17. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no doubt to it, it is very competitive niche.. but you have good and unique idea of promotion then you can win the competition as well.

alex06295, Apr 24, 2013 IP
  18. cristina stewart

cristina stewart Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very competitive niche....you should change your niche....

cristina stewart, Apr 24, 2013 IP