1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you want to know about Pinterest

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by barellano, Mar 21, 2012.

Hey there fellow readers... I am working on a project to develop some video and documentation about Pinterest. I am really interested in how useful Pinterest is from a marketing/SEO perspective. However, I am also interested in know what you guys want to know about Pinterest. What would you like to know about Pintrest?How are you currently using Pinterest to benifit you? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    barellano, Mar 21, 2012 IP
  2. millbey

millbey Peon

Best Answers:
    Still waiting to open an account there. But it seems that the website will be very much crucial from the IM point of view.

millbey, Mar 22, 2012 IP
  3. davidja

davidja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello , Good question , why do you have to sent an invitation to your email address to open a Pinterest account??

davidja, Mar 23, 2012 IP
  4. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you the Ben who sent me "You've Been Invited to Join Pinterest", "Ben & the Pinterest Team"? wow, pleasure to meet you here. :)

I've already created the 1st board, pinned it from HK, everything was ok.

Actually, I firstly heard of Pinterest was at Chinaz, that moment it was shown as a featured website with detailed and vivid introduction by text & image.
    The question I have is that Pinterest sets no limit to email addresses to receive the invitation, but only allows registered users to log in via Facebook or Twitter eventually, then how will users who received the invitation from mainland China log into their account if they do not use VPN or Online agency?
    I don't know whether you will understand that feeling or not, you are invited to attend a party, but when you arrive, you are stopped by the door guard, and told this is a fancy dress party and not accept casual wear. Oops! (just a kidding ;))

Please let me know you have the solution, thanks! - Helen

iisp.hk, Mar 24, 2012 IP
  5. ewebguy12

ewebguy12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I want to know how Pinterest will help normal websites? as per my understanding is better for eCommerce websites.

ewebguy12, Mar 24, 2012 IP
  6. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jesus no. My images are being 'pinned' up the wazoo yet I get no traffic from Pinterest. Why? Because they are pinning FULL-SIZE images from my site, why would 'pinners' follow the links when they can see the whole thing?

Of course it's only a matter of time until Pinterest monetizes my stolen content.

If I want to opt out by adding a meta tag to every single one of my thousands of web pages, 'pinners' get the following message:

"This site doesn't allow pinning to Pinterest. Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!"

THE NERVE!!! Not only are they forcing me to spend a full two weeks changing code on my website instead of providing content, but they're going to pop up snarky content encouraging 'pinners' to write to me and argue with me???

That is an outrage. I should sue their keisters for the two weeks I'm going to have to waste copying and pasting code. Like that's going to help; I'll soon have to add meta-tags for every damn Pinterest clone that is bound to spring up from the pirate-infested waters of the internet.

helleborine, Mar 28, 2012 IP
  7. barellano

barellano Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for you questions? I have finally posted an extensive blog post and video regarding pinterest. See it HERE ---> http://www.imfuse.com/what-is-pinterest-a-beginners-guide-on-how-to-use-pinterest/

:cool:

barellano, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  8. barellano

barellano Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree! In fact if you go and sift through a few pins in Pinterest, you will notice that many are already using affiliate links to products. Pinterest is an IM'ers dream come true being able to create backlinks from images. Google is picking up these "pins" in the SERPs too!

9. barellano

barellano Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Helen! I am not sure I know enough about China's internet connectivity situation to answer this question. The fact that Pinterest forces you to use Twitter or Facebook, in my opinion, is to simply help them climb the "social media" ladder to the top. Twitter and Facebook are the worlds top social media sites, why not piggy back off of them. If you have more information about China, let me know, it sounds interesting.

Cheers!

10. barellano

barellano Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi dividja,
    This is a very good question. While I can't give you an absolute answer, I can speculate. It would appear that this is a marketing tactic. This tactic creates "scarcity" intriguing people to sign up quickly. Also this targets people who truly want to join this social media site. Word of mouth is known to be the best known marketing tactic around. When a friend sends you an invite to something, typically you will attend, and in this case sign up.

Cheers!
    Ben

11. barellano

barellano Peon

Best Answers:
  12. barellano

barellano Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately that is true. In fact Pinterest just rewrote their terms of service and I assure you they are legally covered. I am not saying that stealing your content is right, but it will take a lot to chase after stolen content. It is unfortunate that people can change the URL that points the image back to its point of origin, but it could work for you as well if you pin your own images and point them back to your site. Most people on Pinterest don't pin their own stuff, the "repin" images already there, the hope is that they will leave the link alone.

Sorry to hear about having to add the metatag to your site. Have you considered using a dynamic language for your site like PHP, or perhaps maybe wordpress? Adding a simple tag like this to your site would be as easy as modifying your template with the tag in which your entire site would be "covered" so to speak.

Good luck!
    Ben

13. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started these sites before I ever knew about php, I'd have to re-do everything. And besides, who wants a mile-long meta tag blocking all the Pinterest clones that are already being cooked up? I'm blocking them as user-agent in htacess for giggles, who knows if it works.

I'm starting to enjoy sending them countless DMCA take-down notices. I send them individually because one small mistake in their multiple submission and you lose everything. Another advantage of doing them one at a time, and documenting my inconvenience to its fullest extent, is that I will sue their asses for damages.

Meanwhile I'm delighted to see an increased amount of commercial pollution that is tainting the whole Pinterest concept, these pirates really do deserve to have their ship sunk by spam cannons. I'll be joining the fray of spam myself. If they're going to force me into daily take-down notice sessions, I will exploit them right back in the crassest possible way.

helleborine, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  14. spunkz

spunkz Member

Best Answers:
    Ben, Thanks for the post about Pinterest! You have stuff in there that even I, a person who has been using Pinterest for a few months didn't know about! LOL!

spunkz, Mar 31, 2012 IP
  15. robyna

robyna Peon

Best Answers:
    I read an article that said Pinterest is putting their own affiliate ID on Amazon links. I would be interested to know if this actually true. If so, it kind of puts a black cloud over the site for me.

robyna, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  16. mduncanmoore

mduncanmoore Peon

Best Answers:
    There is so much promo hitting the e-mails about Pinterest, it would be very valuable to have straight talk about what it is and what it can do for your internet marketing efforts.

mduncanmoore, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  17. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the response Ben. I am personally not a political person, but, yeah correct, both Facebook and Twitter were blocked here. Instead, QQ (aka Tencent), Weibo, and Taobao are the top social media sites/tools, if you intend to march China's market, at least please allow QQ in, and offer a Chinese version Pin. I will be awaiting PT's update... ... :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    iisp.hk, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  18. iisp.hk

iisp.hk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    iisp.hk, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  19. SoftDev

SoftDev Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    got nice idea from Barellano,thanks. now its time to implement :)

SoftDev, Apr 4, 2012 IP
  20. internetlot

internetlot Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Pinterest is really doing well on Amazon Affiliate Products Marketing. I am currently promoting some CPA offers related to "Fashion" on it and they are going good enough.

Regards,
    Avnish Garg

internetlot, Apr 5, 2012 IP