1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What does 9rules use for there main page?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by KGL, Apr 9, 2006.

How is it done?
    The neat catagories.
    The RSS feeds.
    Is it some kind of community software?

KGL, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    There's nothing particularly special about the homepage from a technical point of view.

Now, finding the designer is another thing. that holds together nicely and looks awesome!

sarahk, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  3. Mike_Rundle

Mike_Rundle Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey guys, I'm one of the people behind 9rules (I'm the designer.... thanks for the compliment!) so maybe I could answer your questions.

Although it may not look complicated, the backend powering 9rules is pretty complex. We have over 130 members, and all throughout the day our custom RSS caching infrastructure is querying our member's sites, pulling down their latest RSS feeds and favicons, checking if they've changed, caching their content into our database, and then storing each entry as both XML and HTML to be accessed by the 9rules.com website itself. The 9rules homepage pulls down the latest content from around the Network, as well as random content from the past week.

Our members are categorized by the Community they are a part of, and you can view individual member content by clicking on one of our Communities at <a href="http://9rules.com/en/browse/">9rules.com/en/browse</a>. The favicons on that page are randomly pulled from our member favicon database, and each separate Community box is self-updating to reflect whether any members have posted recently.

Once you click-through to an individual Community page (<a href="http://9rules.com/en/browse/technology/">technology</a>, <a href="http://9rules.com/en/browse/design/">design</a>, etc.) you are able to view the most recent entries from our members in that Community, as well as any Featured blog entries that pertain to that topic.

Our <a href="http://9rules.com/en/browse/featured/">Featured blog</a> is a collaborative blog where certain 9rules members can post. We have 15+ authors working on an all-custom Wordpress install, and the goal of the Featured blog is to highlight the best content from around the network, as found and edited by members. Featured blog content is written on various topics, and when recent content is written about an individual Community, that Featured blog post is shown on the individual Community page.

Hope this helps :)

Best,
    Mike

Mike_Rundle, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mike - and welcome to DP

I guess I meant that technically the presentation wasn't hard. Building those feeds obviously is!!! But once you have them...

Hopefully you'll stick around, you'll have plenty to share

sarahk, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  5. Selkirk

Selkirk Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what software they use, but it is written in PHP. index.php shows the home page, while index.html is a 404.

Selkirk, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  6. KGL

KGL Peon

Best Answers:
    I knew it was gonna be something super complex.
    Thanks for the break down Mike.

KGL, Apr 9, 2006 IP