1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What graphics software do you use?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by adacprogramming, Aug 16, 2006.

I'm not much of a graphics person so for what I do I just use Photoshop. My son is wanting to get into it more.

Besides, and in addition to photo shop what software do you use to create graphics and why do you like it.

I'm considering Corel Draw, is there a better one?

Thanks

adacprogramming, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For photos and normal images I use photoshop. For any logo's, business cards, or other vector based requirements, I use Adobe Illustrator. For setting up layouts for print (stationary, business cards, brochures, etc), I use Adobe Indesign.

Photoshop is subtable for just about everything except major vector based designs. Photoshop does have decent vector capabilities for small or single projects. If he is going to do a lot of logos or other vector designs, then Illustrator would be the next logical step.

I personally can't stand Adobe because of their ridiculous software monopoly and the price of their software, but their software is good enough and there isn't any reasonable substitution available. I personally do not like Corel at all. You may find some people that like it, but I cant stand it.

jestep, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  3. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good to know, I didn't really know what the other programs in the suite were used for.

adacprogramming, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  4. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good point :)

Jasc Paintshop Pro is a good alternative to PhotoShop though, at least for some people.

MTbiker, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  5. Dark Frost

Dark Frost Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try Bryce, but bryce 4 was best, hard to find now, its more of a 3d rendering program though

Dark Frost, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  6. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Photoshop is the best that I've used, if you already have that I wouldn't bother getting anything else.

MattUK, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  7. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Fireworks and think that it is a very versatile application. You can edit photos, draw vector images, make gif animations, slice images for the web and optimise graphics to get their sizes down. It's pretty cheap compared to Photoshop/Illustrator, too.

If you have the most recent version of Photoshop I'd do as MattUK suggested and stick with it, though. I'd only consider getting something else if I had to spend some money to upgrade anyway.

hooperman, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  8. alecsandru2006

alecsandru2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello all

I am a big fan of Adobe's Photoshop. I use it to make graphics to fake pictures enhance pictures.... It's a great tool if you know how to use it. In the beginning it look weird but after a week or two it's like family.

alecsandru2006, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  9. adacprogramming

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the input. I'm currently using (don't laugh) photoshop 5.5 I am planning to upgrade soon. Looks like it might be best to go with the suite and get the other two prgrams with it.

On someone elses thread someone said. version 7 is better then their latest (cs2 ?) I was planning on upgrading to the latest version. Any opinions on why I shouldn't?

adacprogramming, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  10. smallbizstartupkit

smallbizstartupkit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use photoshop when I need complex photo editing. Fireworks when I'm dealing with web graphics. I know Photoshop comes with ImageReady but I like Fireworks better as it's easier for me to use. Freehand for vector graphics, laying out flash designs, and illustrating stuff like maps, diagrams, line art etc. To sum it all up Photoshop, Fireworks, Freehand. I have other graphic programs but these are the three that I consider must have. If you want to get technical, you can actually leave out Fireworks and do all your web graphics in Photoshop. I imagine it's a personal preference.

smallbizstartupkit, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  11. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think CS2 is much better than 7.

I would say 7 is the minimum version you should upgrade to, but if you can afford it, CS2 has many more usable features than 7.

jestep, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  12. hotcomputers

hotcomputers Peon

Best Answers:
    depends what kind of graphics you want to create

i like most photoshop, illustartor and 3dsmax

hotcomputers, Aug 17, 2006 IP
  13. farooqaaa

farooqaaa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Photoshop for all kind of graphics, exept 3d :). Photoshop is very good for designing web layouts,logos,navbars etc. And if someone is new to Photoshop, then just google "Photoshop Tutorials", and you will see more than 100,000 results on that keyword. Photoshop is the first software, that have over millions tutorials found on the net, didnt it?

farooqaaa, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  14. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I use photoshop 99% of the time and 1% of the time.. I'm using paint (for pixel art!)

8everything, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  15. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    There is an interesting free option you could check out: http://www.inkscape.org/

The price is right until your son develops his own opinions about what kind of software he needs and what he wants to accomplish.

The site says, "Inkscape is an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara X"

I have used it and I was able to get it working. Something I could not with CorelDraw.

clancey, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  16. Tekntoant

Tekntoant Peon

Best Answers:
    I Tried Inkscape and was impressed considering its free but alas its no illustrator.

Tekntoant, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  17. Turpentine

Turpentine Guest

Best Answers:
    inkscape and gimp are nice but not nice enough.

get the full adobe suit, proportionally it doesn't cost much more.

Turpentine, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  18. adacprogramming

Best Answers:
    Looks like the adobe suite is the winner. My son just started and is already creating a little revenue for me. It's worth buying him the better tools.

Thanks

adacprogramming, Aug 18, 2006 IP
  19. seether

seether Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Photoshop CS2 and I am very happy with it :D

seether, Aug 19, 2006 IP
  20. chrisbell

chrisbell Peon

Best Answers:
    atm i am only using photoshop and illustrator. But i am also looking to learn flash in the near future.

chrisbell, Aug 20, 2006 IP