1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the best CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by kingofbigmac, Jun 15, 2007.

I am looking for a good CMS, no a great CMS. I am about to make a xbox 360 site. A lot better than the one I have now :eek: Yes I know. I know there is Joomla and that is kinda hard for me to use. Please tell me your suggestions thank you.

mod please delete my previous thread.

kingofbigmac, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  2. vinodis

vinodis Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal and Wordpress are good CMS with plenty of support and features.

vinodis, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  3. einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Website Baker if you don't want too much bloat. Easy to use with nice looking sites.

einsteinsboi, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  4. kingofbigmac

kingofbigmac Banned

Best Answers:
    Drupal is new to me might try that.

5. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    phpnuke is better for you.

010081, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  6. Romlin

Romlin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend Joomla! actually but the guys at vgamin(dot)com can give you lots of advice on different gaming-oriented CMS.

Romlin, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  7. kingofbigmac

kingofbigmac Banned

Best Answers:
    I tried to register on vgamin and its not letting me, it keeps on saying wrong confirmation code or whatever. I am entering the right code and its not working.

8. mediatech

mediatech Peon

Best Answers:
    In order of complexity and features I recommend Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal and TYPO3. I was a Nuker back in 2002 and unless you're looking at Xoops or a better variant stay away from PHPNuke and PostNuke.

mediatech, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  9. kingofbigmac

kingofbigmac Banned

Best Answers:
    I just want a game related CMS I guess. No clan stuff.

10. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reasons I chose Wordpress are:

1) Relatively easy to install and maintain. But make no mistake about it, there is plenty of work to be done to understand how to administer any site (e.g. security, backup/restore, statistics analysis, SEO optimization, etc.), including Wordpress, so don't underestimate the effort required to even administer a relatively simple hosted application such as Wordpress.

2) Choice of themes and the ability to change themes easily. My most recent change resulted in a very significant boost in readership and pages read.

3) Excellent spam control. Akismet is a must for any site that as a reasonable amount of Internet exposure.

4) Relatively stable application code base. The latest release has a good amount of compatibility issues. For example, widgets are a mess as far as I can tell. WP-Cache, which does provide some worthwhile performance gains, creates all kinds of problems when editing posts or changing configurations. Still it is reasonably clean code that does not require too much on-going support issues.

5) Good extensibility. Some of the plugins that I have found useful, besides Akismet (which should be in the core already), are the Google Site Map generator, the Feedburner plug-in, the SEO all-in-one pack, the no-follow plug-in. Some of the plugins have security holes (which is why I try to avoid those that access the database), and backward compatibity issues (Adhesive doesn't work with my latest theme), so a large library doesn't always mean that they are all useful, but I check out the most popular ones and try them out.

6) Reasonably easy to modify themes - within limits of the Wordpress scripting architecture. It is a relatively rigid architecture that can be modified to a certain extent depending upon one's CSS expertise. Mine is fairly limited at this time. The rigidity, however, makes it easier to use and easier to stabilize.

7) Good support. Not all questions are answered, but usually you can find your question answered somewhere in the support forum. There are so many users, that practically every question has been addressed in one form or another.

I am not sure about the other CMSs. I reviewed some of the more popular CMSs, and felt that I would be opening up a bag of worms at this time. Joomla, for example, is going through a massive rewrite, and I am not sure how long it would take to stabilize the new version. Drupal, reminds me of a do-it-yourself building block set that would take all too long for me to figure out. And I cannot afford to hire someone to keep rebuilding as I discover new things that I want to do on my site.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

richrf, Jun 15, 2007 IP
    vinodis likes this.
  11. kingofbigmac

kingofbigmac Banned

Best Answers:
    thanks rich I really like Wordpress and I am familiar with it. I think I will stick with wordpress.

12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think wordpress will be a great alternative for you , if you think that joomla is difficult to use

trichnosis, Jun 15, 2007 IP